Sign in with
Your question

Computer case size problem (GPU wont fit)

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2012 12:33:09 AM

Hello,
I'm very new to this whole world of computers so bear with me here.
I'm having a problem with my new graphics card being too big for my computer. Yes, it has the PCI Express slot. However, the card wouldn't fit. The guy at the store said that I would have to settle for a less powerful graphics card because of this.
Here's some links:

This is my PC:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

This is the graphics card I bought:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Thanks!
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 12:54:00 AM

Either a new graphics card or you can get a new case and transfer everything out of your existing case.
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:56:19 AM

How does it not fit? Does it block sata cables and therefore it's not plug-able? Does it not fit lenght wise? Hits the hard drive box?

Also I see you tried to place a gtx560ti into a oem pc which has a crappy psu. Even if the gpu were to fit, the psu would not be able to feed the gpu.

Given your pc's psu and the dimensions I'd recommend a HD 7750. This card consumes very little power and is most likely small enough to fit in your pc.

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 1:00:31 AM

Yeap. This graphics card will never fit into this case. And even if it could, your power supply would obviously not be able to feed this card's power needs. With just 300W of power you can't do much. I would definitely recommend upgrading your PSU (probably go for 500W).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 1:00:47 AM

I'm guessing looking at the pics of the case he got from MicroCenter that it is physically impossible to put it in that case. My original suggestions stand, with one adjustment. You only have a 300W power supply. You will probably need to go to 450W to drive your GPU properly...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 1:04:37 AM

Plasmid said:
How does it not fit? Does it block sata cables and therefore it's not plug-able? Does it not fit lenght wise? Hits the hard drive box?

Also I see you tried to place a gtx560ti into a oem pc which has a crappy psu. Even if the gpu were to fit, the psu would not be able to feed the gpu.

Given your pc's psu and the dimensions I'd recommend a HD 7750. This card consumes very little power and is most likely small enough to fit in your pc.

HD7750 still requires 500W or greater.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/77...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 3:32:51 AM

ah, the joy of prebuilt computers... you think you are saving a buck until you find out what corners they cut...

FYI, while I love Microcenter, their power spec PCs are trash worthy of making Compaq look like a quality PC company, never buy one again. They have a tendency to take their open box return products, or bulk miss-orders, and put them in these machines as a way to recover some of the money they would have otherwise lost. Not saying they will not back their warranty or anything, but like the issues you are having, they are simply built at a bare minimum spec, and if you want to upgrade it then you would have been better off building your own in the first place.

So now you are faced with a choice; Move everything to a new case and power supply which will void your warranty? Or get a much smaller GPU that will fit in your case and 300W budget?
m
l
March 9, 2012 4:32:08 AM

get a new case.
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:58:16 PM

OP here.

If I get a new case and power supply, will Micro Center or some other computer store install it?

Also, I must say I'm not dissapointed with the power spec at all. The processor is fast as lightning. Just upset that my graphics card wont fit length-wise.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 1:06:56 PM

If you want to go to a higher gpu performance level, then upgrading case and psu is the only way. Well it is not a hard job unless you know how to do it. If you feel you ain't having it, talk with Micro Center to make the installation for you. Don't forget though that you will probably get charged
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 4:01:52 PM

WHOAAAA !!! :lol: 

Looks to me like you can remove the lower drive cage by simply removing one screw.

Move your HDD up into the 5.25-inch drive bays.

edit . . . rite cheer

m
l
!