customize

When I am in a program and want to save or open a document, I go to
file/open or save and a windows dialogue box opens. To the left of the
dialogue box I have shortcuts of Desktop, My Documents, Network places etc.
How can I customize this with my own selections? Hope this makes sense and
thanks in advance for any help provided.

jbpete116
2 answers Last reply
More about customize

    <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx>
    | Message news:egeuEYEiEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | When I am in a program and want to save or open a document, I
    | go to file/open or save and a windows dialogue box opens. To
    | the left of the dialogue box I have shortcuts of Desktop, My
    | Documents, Network places etc. How can I customize this with
    | my own selections? Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance
    | for any help provided. jbpete116

    The vertical button bar at the left-hand side in the Open and
    Save [As] dialog boxes is called the Places Bar.

    -- For the Explorer-style Common Dialog Box with a Places
    Bar that is used by applications such as Notepad, Paint, Internet
    Explorer, etc., there are a numerous methods you can use to
    customize it...

    - For a manual method to customize the Places Bar by editing the
    Registry see the following Web Page:

    Windows & .NET Magazine
    August 2001 | Dino Esposito | Scripting Solutions
    Instant Doc #21539
    Customize the Places Bar
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=21539

    - If this is your home computer, a Windows XP Professional
    stand-alone computer that you administer, then you could run the
    Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), locate the following policy and
    configure the Places Bar as desired:

    Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\
    Common Open File Dialog: Items displayed in Places Bar

    About Group Policies, keep in mind that for a Windows XP
    Professional stand-alone computer, only one local Group Policy
    object exists. As such, every policy set using the Group Policy
    console will effect every user of the computer, including the
    built-in Administrator.

    For more information about Group Policies and a Windows XP
    Professional stand-alone computer search the Windows XP
    Professional Help and Support Center for "Client operating
    systems" (with the quotes) and read the "Note" in the Full-text
    Search Match by that title.

    - If you have TweakUI installed, you can use it to configure the
    Places Bar. For more information, and a graphic of the TweakUI
    setting, see the following Web Page (which also includes
    information on Registry settings for the PlacesBar):

    Microsoft Learning
    Sample Chapter from Microsoft® Windows XP® Registry Guide
    By Jerry Honeycutt
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232.asp#122

    -- To customize the My Places Bar for Microsoft Office see the
    following Microsoft Knowledge Base article [depending on
    version of Office]:

    KB205041 - OFF2000: How to Customize the Places Bar
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=205041

    KB282087 - HOW TO: Customize the My Places Bar in the "Open"
    and "Save As" Dialog Boxes [Office XP]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=282087

    KB826214 - How To: Customize the My Places Bar in Both the
    Open and the Save As Dialog Boxes in Office 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=826214

    Hi Jeff & Barb Peterson,

    To customize the Placesbar in the Open/Save As dialog, you can use TweakUI.

    TweakUI for XP SP1 and above.
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    You can also accomplish this using Group Policy editor in Windows XP
    Professional

    Type GPEDIT.MSC in the RUN box.
    User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows
    Explorer | Common Open File Dialog
    Double-click Items displayed in Places Bar and add the places in the text
    boxes
    [See Explain tab for more information]

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "Jeff & Barb Peterson" <jbpete116@cox.net> wrote in message
    When I am in a program and want to save or open a document, I go to
    file/open or save and a windows dialogue box opens. To the left of the
    dialogue box I have shortcuts of Desktop, My Documents, Network places etc.
    How can I customize this with my own selections? Hope this makes sense and
    thanks in advance for any help provided.

    jbpete116

Configuration My Documents Microsoft Customization Windows XP