When I am in a program and want to save or open a document, I go to
file/open or save and a windows dialogue box opens. To the left of the
dialogue box I have shortcuts of Desktop, My Documents, Network places etc.
How can I customize this with my own selections? Hope this makes sense and
thanks in advance for any help provided.

jbpete116

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx>
| Message news:egeuEYEiEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| When I am in a program and want to save or open a document, I
| go to file/open or save and a windows dialogue box opens. To
| the left of the dialogue box I have shortcuts of Desktop, My
| Documents, Network places etc. How can I customize this with
| my own selections? Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance
| for any help provided. jbpete116

The vertical button bar at the left-hand side in the Open and
Save [As] dialog boxes is called the Places Bar.

-- For the Explorer-style Common Dialog Box with a Places
Bar that is used by applications such as Notepad, Paint, Internet
Explorer, etc., there are a numerous methods you can use to
customize it...

- For a manual method to customize the Places Bar by editing the
Registry see the following Web Page:

Windows & .NET Magazine
August 2001 | Dino Esposito | Scripting Solutions
Instant Doc #21539
Customize the Places Bar
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=21539

- If this is your home computer, a Windows XP Professional
stand-alone computer that you administer, then you could run the
Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), locate the following policy and
configure the Places Bar as desired:

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\
Common Open File Dialog: Items displayed in Places Bar

About Group Policies, keep in mind that for a Windows XP
Professional stand-alone computer, only one local Group Policy
object exists. As such, every policy set using the Group Policy
console will effect every user of the computer, including the
built-in Administrator.

For more information about Group Policies and a Windows XP
Professional stand-alone computer search the Windows XP
Professional Help and Support Center for "Client operating
systems" (with the quotes) and read the "Note" in the Full-text
Search Match by that title.

- If you have TweakUI installed, you can use it to configure the
Places Bar. For more information, and a graphic of the TweakUI
setting, see the following Web Page (which also includes
information on Registry settings for the PlacesBar):

Microsoft Learning
Sample Chapter from Microsoft® Windows XP® Registry Guide
By Jerry Honeycutt
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232.asp#122

-- To customize the My Places Bar for Microsoft Office see the
following Microsoft Knowledge Base article [depending on
version of Office]:

KB205041 - OFF2000: How to Customize the Places Bar
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=205041

KB282087 - HOW TO: Customize the My Places Bar in the "Open"
and "Save As" Dialog Boxes [Office XP]
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=282087

KB826214 - How To: Customize the My Places Bar in Both the
Open and the Save As Dialog Boxes in Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=826214

Hi Jeff & Barb Peterson,

To customize the Placesbar in the Open/Save As dialog, you can use TweakUI.

TweakUI for XP SP1 and above.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

You can also accomplish this using Group Policy editor in Windows XP
Professional

Type GPEDIT.MSC in the RUN box.
User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows
Explorer | Common Open File Dialog
Double-click Items displayed in Places Bar and add the places in the text
boxes
[See Explain tab for more information]

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP