Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2011 12:15:34 PM

New Build Asus M5A88-M EVO
Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8Ghz
Samsung 840 series 64Bb SSD
Radeon HD5570
Win7 Professional 64 Bit

Annoying intemittent fault whereby the monitor is incorrectly detected as a generic model instead of an LG L192WS and the screen resolution changes to a lower setting which loses a large percentage of the desktop.
I've updated to the latest AMD drivers as that seemed to work for others with a similar problem but to no avail. it takes 5 mouse clicks to open desktop and reset the display to the correct one, but after spending quite a bit to speed up my system I begrudge the time! Any suggestions warmly welcomed...
December 29, 2011 1:08:41 PM

dodger46 said:
I've updated to the latest Nvidia drivers as that seemed to work for others with a similar problem but to no avail.

I hope that's a typo since you state that you are using a Radeon 5570.

If the latest AMD drivers don't do the job, it might help to try some older ones, in case this is a recent bug. I'm not sure if the following driver will help you: http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=L192WS-SN&initialTab=warranty&targetPage=support-product-profile

I had a similar problem on my laptop (Vista 32-bit, nVidia graphics), which eventually disappeared - probably a driver update somewhere. My temporary solution was a batch file to force the resolution to the correct size. I had to download a program called ResSwitch. The command is just:
ResSwitch.exe /width:1440 /height:900

Naturally, change the width and width and height values to the ones you want.
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2011 2:35:11 PM

Thanks for pointing out the slip, NVidia on the brain after Sli probs on another machine!
I'll give ResSwitch a try and report back...
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2011 8:33:29 AM

No further on. 'ResSwitch not recognised. Downloaded Display Changer and it changes the display to 1024 x 768with one click, but I want 1440 x 900 and I can't see how to change the setting!
December 30, 2011 9:24:24 AM

The full list of command line switches for Display Changer is available at http://www.12noon.com/displaychanger.htm, assuming I've found the right software :) 

It seems you just have to use the -width and -height switches to set the resolution. Using the command dccmd.exe -width=1440 -height=900 should do the trick. You might also need to specify the refresh rate using -refresh=XXX, where XXX is the desired refresh rate.
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2011 12:58:51 PM

Same result, 'dccmd.exe' is not recognised etc....
December 30, 2011 1:12:55 PM

In cmd.exe, you have to change to the directory where dccmd.exe is located, then run the command. A more permanent solution is to add the folder where dccmd.exe is to the Path environment variable.
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2011 2:56:25 PM

Eventually sussed that dc64.exe works from the command prompt having moved the DC folder, but the link in the Start Menu stays at 1024 x 768. Don't see how to change that to 1440 x 900 which would be useful...
December 30, 2011 6:50:13 PM

Right click on the link in the start menu and select properties. On the Shortcut tab there should be a field labeled "Target". That is the command line that gets executed. Just add the -width and -height switches to that command and that should do it.
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2011 6:57:46 PM

Clever stuff! Thanks, would never have thought of that...
!