Did my GPU just short?

ace18rp

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Hey guys,

So I just built my computer, with an i7 2600k and GTX 460. I hooked everything up, and it booted up fine. The motherboard is a Z68 chipset with integrated graphics, so I hooked up the display through the mobo and it booted. I then tried to hook the display up to the GTX 460 but it didn't work because I realized I had forgotten to put in the two 6-pin power connectors from the PSU(Corsair CX600). I hooked both in, and the computer didn't boot at all. I took one of the connectors out of the GTX 460 and it booted, but I smelled something burning so I quickly turned it off. I tried one more time with only one connector in, and it booted but the GPU started smoking. I took the entire graphics card out and tried again, and everything worked fine. So I have no idea what just happened. Do you guys have any advice about what to do next? What do you think is wrong? Could it be just a bad graphics card? I can't see how it's the PSU seeing as it worked fine afterwards. If it's a graphics card, hopefully I can just return this one and pick up a new one. Is there any chance it is the PSU or motherboard, or that the PCI-E slot is bad?
Thanks in advance. Any help is very much appreciated.

Solution
when a component smokes you need to return it. unless you got some crazy case fogger mod.
if the pci-e slot was providing enough current to make a gpu smoke it would have burn marks on the socket. you can check but i doubt its the problem.
the cx600 only has 1 12v rail and if it was putting out too much current, your motherboard would be smoking too. so not your power supply.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
when a component smokes you need to return it. unless you got some crazy case fogger mod.
if the pci-e slot was providing enough current to make a gpu smoke it would have burn marks on the socket. you can check but i doubt its the problem.
the cx600 only has 1 12v rail and if it was putting out too much current, your motherboard would be smoking too. so not your power supply.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS