Computer won't POST after cleanup

earth4x

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
I was cleaning up the dust from my computer and I wanted to change the thermal paste on my CPU. I started pulling on the heatsink and heard a slight crack... I stopped doing it after I heard the noise, plugged everything back in, only the find the computer won't POST.

I see the HD led light up ... but my usb mouse and keyboard don't work.. and I see a blank screen and well.. nothing happens.

Did I just kill my CPU? :(

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
more than likely you have cracked your motherboard and damaged some important tracks...

When pulling your heatsink off you should make sure that all fasteners are loose and if it doesnt come straight off you should use a twisting motion instead of a brute force to pull off.

My thought, youll prolly need a new motherboard

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Bummer dude.
Next time around :
1) Never use AS5 or any TIM that is not Silicone based (no welding/cementing issues and cools basicly 100% the same anyhow.)
2) Always warm up the HS befor hand (run it under 100% load via Orthos or 20 Minutes with a hairdryer)
3) Use 2 fingers and low pressure to "twist" right/left the HS against the CPU to remove the HS -befor- you unlock the CPU.