bluetooth range/distance

Hi

I wonder if someone could resolve my confusion in this issue:

There are several descriptions around of groups using custom hardware to
expand the range of bluetooth hardware, and then use this setup to interact
with bluetooth mobile phones anything up to a mile in distance. ( examples:
http://bluetooth.weblogsinc.com/entry/3733164530774830/ )

Given that Bluetooth is fundamentally a two way communication protocol, how
is it that the mobile phones, which typically have a 10 metre range, are
able to 'talk back' to the custom hardware ?

I know pretty much nothing about radio signals, but I would conject that the
custom hardware, as well as being able to transmit further, is also more
sensitive to picking up the weaker signals emanating from the handsets.
After all radio signals don't simply disappear after 10 metres.

Are class 1 rated bluetooth devices more sensitive to incoming bluetooth
signals than class 2 devices ? Or is it down to the antenna used ?
1 answer Last reply
More about bluetooth range distance

    Alex wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I wonder if someone could resolve my confusion in this issue:
    >
    > There are several descriptions around of groups using custom hardware to
    > expand the range of bluetooth hardware, and then use this setup to
    > interact with bluetooth mobile phones anything up to a mile in distance. (
    > examples: http://bluetooth.weblogsinc.com/entry/3733164530774830/ )
    >
    > Given that Bluetooth is fundamentally a two way communication protocol,
    > how is it that the mobile phones, which typically have a 10 metre range,
    > are able to 'talk back' to the custom hardware ?
    >
    > I know pretty much nothing about radio signals, but I would conject that
    > the custom hardware, as well as being able to transmit further, is also
    > more sensitive to picking up the weaker signals emanating from the
    > handsets. After all radio signals don't simply disappear after 10 metres.

    They're basically just using a honking big directional antenna. Same
    principle as a radio telescope.

    > Are class 1 rated bluetooth devices more sensitive to incoming bluetooth
    > signals than class 2 devices ? Or is it down to the antenna used ?

    For bidirectional over long distances it's the antenna.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Bluetooth Hardware