Home Network problem still unsolved :-(

Ron

XP Athlon is host.
ME Intel is guest.
Host can read all shared files and folders on guest
computer.
Guest can connect to the net via the host ADSL
connection - but when trying to access files and folders
I get a "You dont have permission to access Athlon"
Both computers have same username and password.
Can someone please help?
Thanks
Ron

ron wrote:

> XP Athlon is host.
> ME Intel is guest.
> Host can read all shared files and folders on guest
> computer.
> Guest can connect to the net via the host ADSL
> connection - but when trying to access files and folders
> I get a "You dont have permission to access Athlon"
> Both computers have same username and password.
> Can someone please help?
> Thanks
> Ron

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is, have you shared
any folders on host? You must first share something on the
host before the client ME will be able to see them. Select
any folder you want to share, RMB on that item and enable
sharing. Post back if that is not a solution.
gm

Ron

more help please gm

Ron

ron wrote:

> [...]

"Sharing" requires 2 things (at least), Sharing enabled, and
something shared.

First you must have "sharing enabled" in the network
properties. RMB on My Network Places and select properties.
You should see there Local Network Connections. RMB on Local
Network Connections and select properties, there will be a
list which includes File and Printer Sharing. That will make
"sharing enabled". I suspect this is already set or you would
not see the client from the host either.

Second you have to share a folder. Select any folder, "Shared
Documents" is a good choice. RMB on that and select Sharing
and Security. Once there, "Share this folder on the network"
most also be checked.

When you say "sharing is enabled", are you saying that both of
these setups have been done?
gm

New THing to do is to enable the guest account on the host XP system.
settings:control pannle: users select guest account and turn it on.. all
computers in a peer to peer network with xp use this guest account.

"gmnospam@nospam.xyz" wrote:

> ron wrote:

Ron

Hi guys

Guest account is turned on and sharing enabled in all
places mentioned. Still get an "unauthorised" message on
ME (guest)when trying to access files on host. Also guest
connects to the Net automatically on start up - can I
turn this facility off?

Thanks again
Ron

Ron: Do you have identical account names on both computers? Must have this
as well.