Everything but the motherboard - Need suggestions! Socket 2011

Landsharkk

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2002
Short prelude to why I'm upgrading: Just installed Windows 8 in order to run the Windows Phone SDK8.0, but apparently my current CPU (Intel Q9550) doesn't support the correct hardware virtualiztion (SLAT) to run the WP8 emulator inside Visual Studio 2012. A minor annoyance, since I can just plug my WP8 phone in and use it as the test device.

But, combine the above with my recent rash of hardlocks in windows (both before and after the Win8 installation), where my PC will just lock up without warning (could be in a game, could be just typing something like this message right now, etc).

Lastly, my PC is about 4.5 years old now (except for the video card, GTX 670, which is also being bottlenecked by the rest of my system).

Ok, I'm going to upgrade my stuff. All I need is CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU and maybe a new harddrive (still undecided on that).

I need help picking out the motherboard, because I can't seem to decide on a socket 2011 board that's reasonably priced (say around $300 or less).

So far I've picked out these items:
-CPU Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (Socket 2011)
-RAM Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-PSU CORSAIR HX Series HX750

I already have the case (Antec P182 and video card (EVGA GTX 670).

I might be overkilling it a bit with the PSU, but I generally keep my computers for about 5 years, so I like choosing parts that have upgrade-ability in mind. If there's another good PSU that is cheaper but still with enough power to keep things safe, cool, and quiet, I'd consider it.

However, what motherboard would fit well with the above?

I thought I had it narrowed down to the ASUS P9X79 LE, but would like some other opinions on that choice. It seems the only two viable motherboards for my price range are that ASUS or the ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011.

Landsharkk

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2002
I ended up making the purchase last night. I don't need SLI, but would like a motherboard that is going to last me a while and that I can add a faster CPU to in a few years.

Here's what I bought last night:

Intel Core i7-3820 (3.6ghz)
ASUS P9X79 LE LGA 2011 (motherboard)
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16gb (2x8gb) DDR3 1600 (memory)
Corsair HX850 watt (power supply)
Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB SATA6.0 (harddrive)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EvoEVO (cpu heatsink)

I already have a case/keyboard/mouse/monitors and I also have a EVGA GTX 670.