Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1500-$2000 Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2011 9:39:09 PM

Hello all. I am basically looking to see if this particular build's parts will be compatible and how well it will work for my personal usage as described below as per the sticky.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks depending on whenever my rebate comes back from my horrible "company built PC" experience in which I do not wish to go into

Budget Range: $1500-$2000 as per the link provided below detailing parts (built using the handy website) www.pcpartpicker.com

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Daily use including school work and web surfing, programming

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.com and/or www.us.ncix.com (not familiar with ncix as its the first time I've actually heard of it, been a long time newegg customer)

Parts Preferences: Nvidia GPU's and Intel CPU

Overclocking: Eventually, yes, as I will be introducing a WC system later on down the line

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 - honestly not sure about Resolution for gaming i.e. which has better performance etc

Additional Comments: Need a bit of advice in regards to the GPU. I am stuck on which series to get as well as which manufacturer. Would like to incorporate a WC system at a later date. Advice on a couple of fans for the H100 for later use with WC.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the part list

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($101.72 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 900W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AL/BSBS DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($178.30 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1225.93
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-12-04 23:16 EST-0500)

That is it. Thank you for any and all help and advice!

More about : 1500 2000 gaming rig

December 4, 2011 10:24:43 PM

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Currently out of stock but when it comes back in stock it is a good buy and a good name brand.

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $124.99 and a $10 rebate for $114.99

You could save about $55 and have almost the same features and pci-e 3.0.
m
l
December 4, 2011 10:36:30 PM

Why are you looking to replace the case fans and if you are going with water cooling later on what are you doing with the corsair h100 ? Why not go with the stock cooler and save your money and then add the water cooling later like you planned. There is nothing wrong with the case fans as they are basicly just for ciculation anyway, if you are not happy with the amount of ciculation then go with another case with bigger case fans.

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 230mm front fan, 1x 230mm top fan, 1x 230mm side fan, and 1x 140mm rear fan
$139.99
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 10:55:56 PM

Thank you for your response inzone! Saving money is always a plus.

In response as to why I was looking to replace the case fans, I have always done at least a couple of them as case fans were not always the "best" in terms of noise and airflow in my past experiences. The Corsair H100 was for a "rudimentary" introduction towards a WC experience and from my research it is condusive to add fans to cool the radiator as well as maybe trying a push/pull config on the pump/reservoir combo that is the H100 as well as I do not have the money to purchase the parts for a basic DIY loop. The earliest I would be able to do such a thing wouldn't be until Q2 of next year or earlier if I can trickle some money here and there for my intended project. Also buying quality fans now will also give me a head start on radiator fans etc for whenever I do start.

I was actually looking at that case as well and still haven't come up with a decision on which to actually get as of yet. Any advice on what would be appropriate would help tremendously.

*edits are fun aren't they?*
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:19:30 AM

Actually I have looked over my previous entry and updated my OP with changes that inzone has suggested.

I am currently stuck with my GPU choice. Should I go with 570's in SLI or 560's ti in SLI? Or just one higher end card with choice of adding another in the future? Which setup would be best in terms of quality gaming etc?

Again, any and all help/suggestions/advice is welcomed!
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:48:44 AM

gtx570 in SLI. hd 6970 in crossfire may be a better choice for the same money. But some people are anti-AMD, so it's up to you. There are no single cards, including the factory dual-GPUs that will out perform either of those setups.
m
l
December 5, 2011 8:34:31 AM

Deekon said:
Actually I have looked over my previous entry and updated my OP with changes that inzone has suggested.

I am currently stuck with my GPU choice. Should I go with 570's in SLI or 560's ti in SLI? Or just one higher end card with choice of adding another in the future? Which setup would be best in terms of quality gaming etc?

Again, any and all help/suggestions/advice is welcomed!

Depends on the game that you play, either GTX 570 SLI or HD 6970 CF would suffice since they trade blows in all of the benchmarks reviewed. I encourage you to read those reviews to decide which set up to choose since the choice of your games will heavily affect the video cards decision. Here is the link to an Xbit review of HD 6970 CF vs GTX 570 SLI: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/radeo... . The GTX 570 SLI seem to have a minor advantage (win more games).

For example, I play BF3 a lot, and I want to enable 4xMSAA along with Ultra Settings on 1920-1200 res, thats why I chose GTX 570 SLI since HD 6970 CF can't produce equivalent frame rates to the GTX 570 in SLI when MSAA is turned on.
m
l
December 5, 2011 12:50:27 PM

Deekon said:
Thank you for your response inzone! Saving money is always a plus.

In response as to why I was looking to replace the case fans, I have always done at least a couple of them as case fans were not always the "best" in terms of noise and airflow in my past experiences. The Corsair H100 was for a "rudimentary" introduction towards a WC experience and from my research it is condusive to add fans to cool the radiator as well as maybe trying a push/pull config on the pump/reservoir combo that is the H100 as well as I do not have the money to purchase the parts for a basic DIY loop. The earliest I would be able to do such a thing wouldn't be until Q2 of next year or earlier if I can trickle some money here and there for my intended project. Also buying quality fans now will also give me a head start on radiator fans etc for whenever I do start.

I was actually looking at that case as well and still haven't come up with a decision on which to actually get as of yet. Any advice on what would be appropriate would help tremendously.

*edits are fun aren't they?*

honestly i don't think purchasing h100 will do help towards water cooling experience... as you should know there is huge difference between closed loop system and diy loop from purchasing parts to installation method... diy loop needs much more work to do compared to h100... it's better to get cheap air coolers like cm hyper 212 plus and wait until next year to kick start your wc project...
m
l
December 5, 2011 10:00:14 PM

Quote:
honestly i don't think purchasing h100 will do help towards water cooling experience... as you should know there is huge difference between closed loop system and diy loop from purchasing parts to installation method... diy loop needs much more work to do compared to h100... it's better to get cheap air coolers like cm hyper 212 plus and wait until next year to kick start your wc project...

Yes, according to the research I have conducted thus far in regards to WC'ing, there is a huge difference between the two loops and I will take your advice phenom90 on not purchasing the h100. This saves up a bit of money for me to, maybe, upgrade my moniter to a higher resolution as well as (maybe) changing my case to a different one.

I appreciate everyone's answers thus far. Now I am off to figure out the conundrum that is the gtx 570 series, in regards to which company is priced better with its power, oc ability, stability, etc.
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:08:56 AM

Deekon said:
Quote:

Yes, according to the research I have conducted thus far in regards to WC'ing, there is a huge difference between the two loops and I will take your advice phenom90 on not purchasing the h100. This saves up a bit of money for me to, maybe, upgrade my moniter to a higher resolution as well as (maybe) changing my case to a different one.

I appreciate everyone's answers thus far. Now I am off to figure out the conundrum that is the gtx 570 series, in regards to which company is priced better with its power, oc ability, stability, etc.

1 more thing that i would like to ask... do you really need to build a pc now? because around april next year ivy bridge will goes into market... in addition... recent information leaked showed that amd is planning to release its radeon hd 7900 series as early as Q1 2012.... and soon follow by nvidia.... should you really need a build right now i suggest you begin with just one card... either gtx 570 or gtx 580.... or even hd 6900 series.... and then wait for next-gen cards to arrive and upgrade...
m
l
December 6, 2011 3:46:07 PM

phenom90 said:
1 more thing that i would like to ask... do you really need to build a pc now? because around april next year ivy bridge will goes into market... in addition... recent information leaked showed that amd is planning to release its radeon hd 7900 series as early as Q1 2012.... and soon follow by nvidia.... should you really need a build right now i suggest you begin with just one card... either gtx 570 or gtx 580.... or even hd 6900 series.... and then wait for next-gen cards to arrive and upgrade...

Good question. I do indeed need to build and upgrade my PC from what I currently have and the parts that I have chosen are definite upgrades. Accoriding to Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy my current card is 10 tiers below a GTX 570, with my card being a GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB MONSTER!

My CPU choice is a definite upgrade as well according to Tom's CPU Chart recently updated in November, as a i5 2500k is about 10+ tiers above my current CPU which is a AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz.

So yes, in my eyes I do need to build a PC now as mine is running slower and slower every passing month. Kind of funny as my CD-ROM drive is still connected via IDE (PATA) port.

Besides those newer cards and processors that are going to be released next year will most likely be $500+ which I could use now for a computer that will last me (hopefully) 3+ years via OC'ing etc.
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:07:31 PM

Deekon said:
Good question. I do indeed need to build and upgrade my PC from what I currently have and the parts that I have chosen are definite upgrades. Accoriding to Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy my current card is 10 tiers below a GTX 570, with my card being a GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB MONSTER!

My CPU choice is a definite upgrade as well according to Tom's CPU Chart recently updated in November, as a i5 2500k is about 10+ tiers above my current CPU which is a AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz.

So yes, in my eyes I do need to build a PC now as mine is running slower and slower every passing month. Kind of funny as my CD-ROM drive is still connected via IDE (PATA) port.

Besides those newer cards and processors that are going to be released next year will most likely be $500+ which I could use now for a computer that will last me (hopefully) 3+ years via OC'ing etc.

i do understand the pain of looking at own self old and slow pc... while having some money in the pocket... but desperate or hunger for upgrade while just months away from new releases... believe me... i was in your shoes last time...
m
l

Best solution

December 7, 2011 2:07:25 PM

Hey, if you absolutely want your sli right now, Id go with 2 gtx 560 ti's 448 cores. They are practically as good as the 570's and they cost about 60$ cheaper each.
However, if I were you, i'd prob go with 1 570 for now, and decide what to do once the new cards come out. The price of the 570 will probably go down at that point, so you could SLI at that point.
December 17, 2011 12:03:23 AM

Best answer selected by Deekon.
m
l
!