Sign in with
Your question

No matter what I do, I will never get what PSUs do

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2012 9:51:19 AM

Hey there.

3 12V rails, each @18A.
My graphics card (5770) requires 24A on the 12V rail, but that power supply has 3 12V rails @18A and is SLI certified!
How come it can power up an SLI system with 18A?

When I plug in the 6 pin PCI-e 12V2 connector to my GPU, how much Amps is it delivering? Is the GPU getting only 18A? The CPU is on the 12V1 rail, but 18A for the CPU burns it! So...is the gpu getting like 18A from 12V2 and extra amps from 12V1?
(12V3 is connected to nothing)

PLEASE ANSWER! MY HEAD'S GONNA BLAST!!!

More about : matter psus

a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 10:20:44 AM

Amperage reccomendations are for combined power output, not single rail, and are for the entire system, not just the card.
Official specs say a 6 pin connector is good for 6.25a, unofficially they can provide more than twice that, can be witnessed by the fact that some modern power supplies come with pig-tailed pcie connectors
What psu you talking about ?
March 9, 2012 10:27:11 AM

delluser1 said:
Amperage reccomendations are for combined power output, not single rail, and are for the entire system, not just the card.
Official specs say a 6 pin connector is good for 6.25a, unofficially they can provide more than twice that, can be witnessed by the fact that some modern power supplies come with pig-tailed pcie connectors
What psu you talking about ?

GigaByte Superb 720.
So what I can understand from your message is that...The card+all other peripherals connected on the 12V rail should consume 24A (as written on the GPUs box)? So the card should take less than 24A, but what about the Amps getting in the CPU? 18A for a Core 2 Duo E7500 is frickin' to damn high!
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 10:41:55 AM

Not a very good psu, but it has a combined 12v output of 42 amps, you've got nothing to worry about.
PS; your entire system isn't going to use 24 amps
Suggest you read the stickies at the top of the forum for some psu education
March 9, 2012 11:22:46 AM

delluser1 said:
Not a very good psu, but it has a combined 12v output of 42 amps, you've got nothing to worry about.
PS; your entire system isn't going to use 24 amps
Suggest you read the stickies at the top of the forum for some psu education

Thanks for the reply, you can't imagine the amount of time I spent searching and reading.
Please, can you elaborate how you found the total 12v output?
And, if my CPU @12V1 is using 8A at full load, where is the rest 10A going to?
Will this PSU survive if connected to a Z68 Mobo, i5 2500K, Dual 5770 Crossfire?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 11:37:20 AM

You're welcome
By reading the label
Wherever it may be needed, the 18a rating is what the rail can handle not what is dedicated to it.
It should be fine for those specs.
!