Sign in with
Your question

Full-screen movies on dual display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2011 8:21:00 PM

I've got a GTX460se card. I know it's only average, but I'm fine with that. Anywhose, I've got a 1680x1050 screen as my main display and a 1280x1024 display as my second. With all these movies being 'uber-widescreen' (stupid move IMO), I'm wanting to find some way to expand the movie so that it takes up both screens in width, which should pretty much fill them vertically too to get rid of the black bars at the top and bottom. It kinds seems like the best way to do that would be to make the screens appear as a single monitor, so that'd be 2960x1024. ATI does that with their Ifinity stuff, but I haven't seen anything for the GTX 400 seires. Any ideas, or should I just get a GTX 500 or ATI setup?
October 10, 2011 1:24:11 PM

This isn't going to be possible as far as i am aware not with an Nvidia card i have tried to run a similar setup and have never been able to get it working reason being that there are conflicting resolutions, i think it might work however if you have 2 monitors of the same resolution and aspect ratio, actually im sure it will work.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 10, 2011 3:12:11 PM

Why would you even want to do that with a 1 inch black bar in the middle of the movie? Instead of buying a different video card, get a larger monitor or a much cheaper and larger TV.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 6:49:18 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Why would you even want to do that with a 1 inch black bar in the middle of the movie? Instead of buying a different video card, get a larger monitor or a much cheaper and larger TV.

So I can get rid of the 2-inch black bar at the top and bottom when I watch these uber-widescreen movies. Getting a bigger monitor would be expensive and would defeat the purpose of having a dual-monitor system.
m
l
October 10, 2011 6:51:13 PM

Pilk said:
This isn't going to be possible as far as i am aware not with an Nvidia card i have tried to run a similar setup and have never been able to get it working reason being that there are conflicting resolutions, i think it might work however if you have 2 monitors of the same resolution and aspect ratio, actually im sure it will work.

I kinda wondered about that - at least the vertical resolution. I wasn't sure if they would just decrease the higher resolution to the smaller one or not, but they're the same physical height, so you wouldn't be able to tell just looking at it.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 10, 2011 7:05:37 PM

kcducttaper said:
So I can get rid of the 2-inch black bar at the top and bottom when I watch these uber-widescreen movies. Getting a bigger monitor would be expensive and would defeat the purpose of having a dual-monitor system.

You'll be replacing the bar on top and bottom with a bar right down the middle of the screen where the two monitors meet, which is way worse. A 32" LCD TV is about $300 new which is not much more than a new video card. A monitor that size if very expensive, but a TV is not too much.
m
l
October 11, 2011 9:14:50 AM

Hang is right get the larger screen dont bother trying to get them to work as it will be a waste i know it defeats the purpose but personally i would just run it on the singular higher res screen, sorry but there isn't much you can do here unless you want to bang in the bucks on screens.
m
l
!