Remote desktop questions

Dreadsin

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
So let's say I want to use my desktop's hardware, and export it to my laptop via a network so that I can play video games as if I am on my desktop and over 30 FPS consistently. I know my desktop can handle playing games at about 60 FPS on average without a problem.

First of all, is that in any way viable?

If yes, what can I do to make it work?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Transmitting the video information to your remote computer may be difficult. You'll have to try it to see. With a fast network it might come close to working. I know in my office I used to remote desktop between 2 computers and I could play internet videos through the network. I didn't try any gaming though.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
My only experience is the remote desktop with my university and it's slow as crap.

I think it's possible to do, but I wouldn't expect it to be the same as playing it on your desktop. There's going to be delay in input and response due to the network.

Let us know if it works!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

It really depends on your connection, both speed and latency. I run remote desktop to my office from hotels when I travel, and I've found a lot of variation. In some places it works very well. I can run AutoCAD just fine though the internet, and things like reading email and working on documents work almost as well as they do when sitting at my desk. At other times it can be very slow and although I can access documents it is too slow for effective CAD work.

At one time a few years ago I had bought a new computer but I had not transferred everything from the old computer, so I had them setting side by side connected through a little switch to our main network. I could run from one computer to the other and could detect very little difference. I could even go to the remote computer, start its browser, and watch videos on the internet.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I agree that speeds vary and on a wired home network I think it could be possible. A solid gigabit connection would give plenty of bandwidth and latency would most likely be the main factor in how well the program ran.

CAD is what I've used remote desktop for as well and it's frustratingly slow from what I've used and while it's not the same as gaming, there is a lot of information to be transmitted and I imagine playing a game remotely will have the same potential for frustration at least.

I don't mean to discourage, in fact I think it would be cool to do if it's possible, but if I would have to guess performance won't be that great.

TRENDING THREADS