Sign in with
Your question

Sb Live! vs Acoustic Edge

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
February 7, 2001 9:47:29 AM

I just recieved my Acoustic Edge, (cost me $89.99, PLUS $82.00 shipping to South Africa, ouch), and was disappointed to find out that my dream of connecting a single digital cable to my amp is still not possible :( 

Phillips claim on their web site (www.phillipsusa.com) that their card supports the following:
- 5.1 (6 channel) channel analog output
- Digital S/PDIF output (stereo, AC3 or DTS signal)

BUT ! This card ONLY does S/PDIF Sterio when playing games etc, and is simply a pass through for DTS and DD when playing movies. The only way to get games to use 5.1 is to use the analogue connectors.

Sighs ...

So, I now have to decide if I should keep my SB-Live 5.1, or replace it with the Acoustic Edge. I prefer the sound I get from the Acoustic Edge (5.1 surround in Sacrifice rules!). BUT ... Creative have been around a lot longer, and will probably have better driver updates. (It sucks that Phillips require you to have internet connection for driver updates)

Anyone have some good suggestions for me ?

CYA, Carl

More about : live acoustic edge

February 7, 2001 10:26:57 AM

Well, Philips itself sucks!!

I think you should keep your Live! 5.1 or buy a Live!
Paltinum 5.1 !

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone
Anonymous
February 9, 2001 1:08:54 AM

5.1 plat kicks butt its one of the best for gaming and they put out this add on for games called eax its awesome if your an unreal fan
!