Getting a Bluetooth headset working with a PC

Last response: in Technologies
July 9, 2005 11:18:54 PM

Hi,

I have a Bluetooth Headset (Bluetake BT400 GII) and a Blue Opal USB
dongle using the latest version of Blue Opal. What I want to do, and
please tell me if I am going mad, is to try and get the Bluetooth
software working as an additional sound card through the system, so
that I can use Skype et al wirelessly via the headset.

Now what I have done so far is to install the software, get the
headset into "pairing mode" and start the connection process, however,
I get a musical tone through the headset and the machine comes up with
an error suggesting that I am unable to connect to the headset.

I want to continue down this path, even if it means buying another
headset or dongle, but I really need to know [a] if this is actually
needed and if yes, which models are the best for the job?

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.
July 10, 2005 1:46:03 AM

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Bluetooth Headset (Bluetake BT400 GII) and a Blue Opal USB
> dongle using the latest version of Blue Opal. What I want to do, and
> please tell me if I am going mad, is to try and get the Bluetooth
> software working as an additional sound card through the system, so
> that I can use Skype et al wirelessly via the headset.
>
> Now what I have done so far is to install the software, get the
> headset into "pairing mode" and start the connection process, however,
> I get a musical tone through the headset and the machine comes up with
> an error suggesting that I am unable to connect to the headset.
>
> I want to continue down this path, even if it means buying another
> headset or dongle, but I really need to know [a] if this is actually
> needed and if yes, which models are the best for the job?
>
> Thanks.
> Andrew.

Don't know if this is related, but this past week I installed a Belkin
dongle and had nothing but problems and called their tech service who
walked me through it -- took three calls and about three hours.

Then I went to their website/support and found that the method in their
booklet does not apply to WinXP SP2 -- that applies it's own Windows BT
which will not operate with the dongle. So I printed out the two pages
of information which is what the techs had been telling me on the phone.
Why they didn't steer me to their website is beyond my comprehension,
and also why they haven't inserted something in their printed manual
since the issuance of SP2 is far beyond my comprehension.

Miles
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:12:00 AM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:18:54 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <me3@privacy.net>
wrote:

> Now what I have done so far is to install the software, get the
> headset into "pairing mode" and start the connection process, however,
> I get a musical tone through the headset and the machine comes up with
> an error suggesting that I am unable to connect to the headset.

The musical tone says that the headset is being called for a connection.
When you hear that sound, press the PTT button on the headset to accept
the connection.

Tony
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:41:51 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:12:00 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<not-for-mail@ahjg.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:18:54 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <me3@privacy.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Now what I have done so far is to install the software, get the
>> headset into "pairing mode" and start the connection process, however,
>> I get a musical tone through the headset and the machine comes up with
>> an error suggesting that I am unable to connect to the headset.
>
>The musical tone says that the headset is being called for a connection.
>When you hear that sound, press the PTT button on the headset to accept
>the connection.

That did it - thanks very much!

Andrew.

!