moving "my documents" folder to other volume

Hello Everyone,
I have created 2 volumes on 80GB HDD with XP
professional. The 1st volume of 20GB is for the O.S. and
the 2nd volume of remaining GB's dedicated to
applications and data. Upon original installation the
O.S. created the owner profile. How can I move the
default "My documents" folder to the 2nd volume? Also,can
I relocate the entire profile for any user I create to
the 2nd volume. Please advise. Humbly appreciate your
feedback. Thank you.

Joe
5 answers Last reply
More about moving documents folder volume

    Joe wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    > I have created 2 volumes on 80GB HDD with XP
    > professional. The 1st volume of 20GB is for the O.S. and
    > the 2nd volume of remaining GB's dedicated to
    > applications and data. Upon original installation the
    > O.S. created the owner profile. How can I move the
    > default "My documents" folder to the 2nd volume? Also,can
    > I relocate the entire profile for any user I create to
    > the 2nd volume. Please advise. Humbly appreciate your
    > feedback. Thank you.
    >
    > Joe

    Moving the My Documents folder is easy enough:

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

    Moving the Documents and Settings\<user account> folder is NOT recommended.
    This can be a highly problematic procedure and has many kinky issues.

    Cannot Move or Rename the Documents and Settings Folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=236621

    --
    Regards,

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org

    Joe wrote:

    > Hello Everyone,
    > I have created 2 volumes on 80GB HDD with XP
    > professional. The 1st volume of 20GB is for the O.S. and
    > the 2nd volume of remaining GB's dedicated to
    > applications and data. Upon original installation the
    > O.S. created the owner profile. How can I move the
    > default "My documents" folder to the 2nd volume? Also,can
    > I relocate the entire profile for any user I create to
    > the 2nd volume. Please advise. Humbly appreciate your
    > feedback. Thank you.
    >
    > Joe

    In W98, all you have to do to move the My Doc folder is to
    drag it to the new location with the mouse. Haven't tried it
    with XP but it probably can be done just as easily.
    gm

    Hi Joe,

    Moving the Documents and Settings folder can be done, just
    a little troublesome. You will need to change between 50
    to 100 registry keys or more depending on what stuff is
    installed. There are a few net sites that list how to do
    it. I have done it on 15 machines at work, cause we want
    to keep the Documents and setting on D drive. These are
    new machines that Dell said they couldn`t image them with
    it on D drive, but I know they can. If you like
    instructions on how to do it, email me at hell-
    fire@yahoo.com I would post the site where its listed,
    but I didn`t save it.

    Jeff

    Hey Joe - its dead easy to move "My Documents"!!

    Go to:-

    and download TweakUI

    After you instal it, look in the tree on the left and click on the +
    next to "My Computer" then click on "Special Folders".

    Now look for and select "My Documents" in the drop down menu and click
    on "Change Location"

    Do the same for all the folders you want to move.

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!

    Aussie Bomber wrote:
    > Hey Joe - its dead easy to move "My Documents"!!
    >
    > Go to:-

    > and download TweakUI
    >
    > After you instal it, look in the tree on the left and click on the +
    > next to "My Computer" then click on "Special Folders".
    >
    > Now look for and select "My Documents" in the drop down menu and click
    > on "Change Location"
    >
    > Do the same for all the folders you want to move.

    My Documents is not listed in the TweakUI special folders list. This utility
    only creates a new <folder> at the target location and does not move any
    files in that folder. Better touse the easy steps in this article.

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

Configuration My Documents Customization Windows XP