moving "my documents" folder to other volume

Joe

Hello Everyone,
I have created 2 volumes on 80GB HDD with XP
professional. The 1st volume of 20GB is for the O.S. and
the 2nd volume of remaining GB's dedicated to
applications and data. Upon original installation the
O.S. created the owner profile. How can I move the
default "My documents" folder to the 2nd volume? Also,can
I relocate the entire profile for any user I create to
the 2nd volume. Please advise. Humbly appreciate your
feedback. Thank you.

Joe

Joe wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I have created 2 volumes on 80GB HDD with XP
> professional. The 1st volume of 20GB is for the O.S. and
> the 2nd volume of remaining GB's dedicated to
> applications and data. Upon original installation the
> O.S. created the owner profile. How can I move the
> default "My documents" folder to the 2nd volume? Also,can
> I relocate the entire profile for any user I create to
> the 2nd volume. Please advise. Humbly appreciate your
> feedback. Thank you.
>
> Joe

Moving the My Documents folder is easy enough:

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

Moving the Documents and Settings\<user account> folder is NOT recommended.
This can be a highly problematic procedure and has many kinky issues.

Cannot Move or Rename the Documents and Settings Folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=236621

--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

Joe wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I have created 2 volumes on 80GB HDD with XP
> professional. The 1st volume of 20GB is for the O.S. and
> the 2nd volume of remaining GB's dedicated to
> applications and data. Upon original installation the
> O.S. created the owner profile. How can I move the
> default "My documents" folder to the 2nd volume? Also,can
> I relocate the entire profile for any user I create to
> the 2nd volume. Please advise. Humbly appreciate your
> feedback. Thank you.
>
> Joe

In W98, all you have to do to move the My Doc folder is to
drag it to the new location with the mouse. Haven't tried it
with XP but it probably can be done just as easily.
gm

jeff

Hi Joe,

Moving the Documents and Settings folder can be done, just
a little troublesome. You will need to change between 50
to 100 registry keys or more depending on what stuff is
installed. There are a few net sites that list how to do
it. I have done it on 15 machines at work, cause we want
to keep the Documents and setting on D drive. These are
new machines that Dell said they couldn`t image them with
it on D drive, but I know they can. If you like
instructions on how to do it, email me at hell-
fire@yahoo.com I would post the site where its listed,
but I didn`t save it.

Jeff

Hey Joe - its dead easy to move "My Documents"!!

Go to:-

and download TweakUI

After you instal it, look in the tree on the left and click on the +
next to "My Computer" then click on "Special Folders".

Now look for and select "My Documents" in the drop down menu and click
on "Change Location"

Do the same for all the folders you want to move.

--
The Aussie Bomber
Carn The Dons!!

Aussie Bomber wrote:
> Hey Joe - its dead easy to move "My Documents"!!
>
> Go to:-

> and download TweakUI
>
> After you instal it, look in the tree on the left and click on the +
> next to "My Computer" then click on "Special Folders".
>
> Now look for and select "My Documents" in the drop down menu and click
> on "Change Location"
>
> Do the same for all the folders you want to move.

My Documents is not listed in the TweakUI special folders list. This utility
only creates a new <folder> at the target location and does not move any
files in that folder. Better touse the easy steps in this article.