Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard will only work with 1 stick of ram

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • RAM
Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2013 4:23:33 PM

I just upgraded my PC components and for some reason this board won't work with 2 sticks of ram. When i put two sticks in i get a constant beeping and the fans spin but the PC just shuts off and keeps retrying to boot. I've tried 3 different sets of ram and two different sizes, updated the BIOS. The voltage in the BIOS is set correctly and i've reset the CMOS more than once but still no luck....also one stick of ram will work no matter which slot i put it in....Any ideas?

CPU: i5-3570K with CM Hyper 212 plus (not OC'd)
MB: gigabyte ga-z77-d3h
GPU: EVGA GTX 660

More about : motherboard work stick ram

January 13, 2013 4:28:49 PM

I had similar problem as well. It turned out to be that I had bent a couple of the cpu pins on the mbod when i installed my processor. Try the good stick of ram that you know works in all of your memory slots. Download CPU-Z and it will also give you some helpful info. Good luck!
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:34:13 PM

I've used CPU-Z before and downloaded it again now..just don't know which info in it would be helpful in solving this problem..
m
l
Related resources
a c 491 V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 5:07:15 PM

make sure you have all the mb bios updates.the mb may not have all of the cpu/ram codes it needs to post with more then one dimm.
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:28:17 PM

I updated it to the stable version from the gigabyte website...only newer version is a beta and i was a little leery of using that version yet.
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:36:46 PM

Kevin7588 said:
I just upgraded my PC components and for some reason this board won't work with 2 sticks of ram. When i put two sticks in i get a constant beeping and the fans spin but the PC just shuts off and keeps retrying to boot. I've tried 3 different sets of ram and two different sizes, updated the BIOS. The voltage in the BIOS is set correctly and i've reset the CMOS more than once but still no luck....also one stick of ram will work no matter which slot i put it in....Any ideas?

CPU: i5-3570K with CM Hyper 212 plus (not OC'd)
MB: gigabyte ga-z77-d3h
GPU: EVGA GTX 660

Did you get to high of ram speed thats your motherboard cant support it?
Standard that ram DDR3 1600
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:43:36 PM

All of the ram i've tried have been DDR3 1600..when i called the store where i got the components from they said the MB just might not like that speed...but i just don't see that as a good reason for this to happen since it's supposed to be supported...it's really frustrating
m
l
a c 491 V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 6:19:26 PM

kevin..most times now with ram errors and good ram is a bent pin on the mb under the cpu. the ram controller is now part of the cpu and not on the mb.so as long as the ram slots dont have a bent pin or dirt..look under the cpu for bent pins.
m
l
January 13, 2013 8:22:40 PM

maybe there is some problem with your memory pin, check that out, clean it up, and make sure that the memory plugged in correctly
m
l
January 13, 2013 8:27:38 PM

smorizio said:
kevin..most times now with ram errors and good ram is a bent pin on the mb under the cpu. the ram controller is now part of the cpu and not on the mb.so as long as the ram slots dont have a bent pin or dirt..look under the cpu for bent pins.

I just took the CPU out and looked but i see no bent pins...after i replaced it i reset the CMOS again and now it won't get past the BIOS splash screen :fou: 

Edit: Nvm...it's now loading..but still has the ram problem
m
l
January 14, 2013 12:08:23 AM

Any other ideas or thoughts....or probably just got a bad MB?
m
l
a c 491 V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 2:58:38 AM

bad motherboard or bad cpu.
m
l
January 14, 2013 3:20:45 AM

smorizio said:
bad motherboard or bad cpu.

+1 with this,,
m
l
January 14, 2013 9:34:04 PM

So..took it to the store where i got the components and they checked it over and said the MB was bad...they gave me a MSI ZH77A-G43 to replace it...if i didn't take that one it would have been next week for a replacement...do i really need to reinstall windows 7 since i just did it the other day?
m
l
January 14, 2013 10:15:31 PM

no,, the OS in the hardisk so you don't need to reinstall your windows :) 
m
l
January 14, 2013 10:36:17 PM

I know but i was wondering if it would be best to get rid of all the old MB drivers that way.
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:13:13 PM

I don't know how significant if you get rid of that, but I think it won't much, unless your hardisk haven't been installed anything besides OS (because to reinstall all of your application is pretty much effort)
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:37:33 PM

It worked fine without reinstalling the OS...thanks everyone for your advice. :) 
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:55:57 PM

Kevin7588 said:
It worked fine without reinstalling the OS...thanks everyone for your advice. :) 

glad to help :) 
m
l
June 14, 2014 7:33:08 AM

For me, I found fix for that. I had same problem when I inserted 2 stick of memory, the dram led was red and computer started peeping.

FIX:

1. Start windows with one stick RAM
2. When you are on windows, insert other stick of RAM
3. Restart pc from start menu
4. Voila, it works

- I don't take any responsibility if this kind of method harms something! For me, it worked!
m
l
!