Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k vs FX-8120

Last response: in CPUs
March 9, 2012 12:34:13 PM

Hello. I know there have been quite a lot of threads about this. (And I do not wish to start a flame war)

I'm planning to get a new PC rather soon and currently I can't decide between these two CPU's.
I mainly would use it for video editing (Premiere and AfterEffects), but I'd be playing games a lot as well. I've looked at a lot of benchmarks. i5 mostly beats FX.

Now here's the problem. I'm worried about future proofing my setup. I think FX would be kind of better as it has 8 cores and I would definitely overclock it.
But... Then again the i5.
Not sure. Your opinions?

More about : 2500k 8120

March 9, 2012 12:37:03 PM

imarex said:
Hello. I know there have been quite a lot of threads about this. (And wish to start a flame war) ....

Fixed ...
March 9, 2012 12:43:49 PM

I knew there would be one either way.
I just want good arguments on which to choose and why?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 1:40:13 PM

The SB CPU is more future proof as the Ivybridge is pin compatible with the LGA 1155 platform.
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 1:52:48 PM

You can run your Ivybridge on a existing SB chipset but it will then just be a sandybridge, in which case all native extentions and features of the IB will be negated, in short either buy a SB or buy a IB, Intel caught everyone out with the Z77 chipset which will be EOL in about a year after IB with Socket 1150 out, if you put the IB on a Z68/P67 platform all you are going to get is a IB acting as a more expensive SB doing nothing for you, no trigate, no PCI-e 3.0(unless you have a Gen3 board).
March 9, 2012 1:55:51 PM

Trigate, assuming you mean Intel's 3D transistor tech, is something everyone will get with IVB regardless of chipset.
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 1:58:50 PM

And you need a Z77 for Lucid Logic Virtue MVP.
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 2:03:37 PM

Yea, get the Core i5 2500K its more worth it than the FX bulldozer.
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 2:17:24 PM

get the 2500k, games will benefit more from a 4.5-5ghz quad core than a lower clocked 8 core. 2500k makes a big differentce when using multiple gpus too.
a c 110 à CPUs
March 9, 2012 2:18:52 PM

Wait for Ivy and the new BD stepping -- then revisit.

Shouldn't be more than 6-8 weeks if you can stand it.

ctbaars said:
Fixed ...

And, this.

Seems like there are threads like this every day.

a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 3:32:14 PM

Since we have all spoken about the awesomeness that is Intel, maybe we can throw some objectivity in too, considering I also have a 8120 build, I couldn't tell the difference in gaming or anything for that matter.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2012 11:05:35 PM

imarex said:
Hello. I know there have been quite a lot of threads about this. (And I do not wish to start a flame war)

I'm planning to get a new PC rather soon and currently I can't decide between these two CPU's.
I mainly would use it for video editing (Premiere and AfterEffects), but I'd be playing games a lot as well. I've looked at a lot of benchmarks. i5 mostly beats FX.

Now here's the problem. I'm worried about future proofing my setup. I think FX would be kind of better as it has 8 cores and I would definitely overclock it.
But... Then again the i5.
Not sure. Your opinions?

if your looking for rendering in adobe premiere it is a toss up between the two:

having a CUDA video card is as much/more important than the cpu as the mercury engine being able to access the cuda cores of an Nvidia card.

as far as 'future proofing' many motherboard manufacturers already have bios updates for their Z68, P67 and H67/1 boards to be compatible with pci 3.0 and ivy bridge if they are Gen3 "editions" such as Asus:
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/PCIe3_Ready/

so far what seems the difference between a sandy and ivy board is:
1) the ivy will have a third pci-e slot but running @ pci 2.0 standard will the others are pci 3.0(using a ivy bridge cpu on a sandy board will give you pci 3.0 as referred to in the previous link)
2) there is a display port on the back panel for most of the Z77 boards with some dropping the D-SUB output.
3) 2 more SATA 6Gb ports
4) 2 or 4 more USB3 ports on the back panel.

hey don't take my word for it, look at them yourself :) 
MSI Z77A-GD65 'Ivy Bridge' Motherboard
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1864/1/
Gigabyte's GA-Z77X-UD3H and GA-Z77X-UD5H
http://vr-zone.com/articles/gigabyte-s-ga-z77x-ud3h-and...
ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
http://www.techpowerup.com/161582/ASUS-P8Z77-V-Deluxe-S...

there really is no need to wait, getting a board not isn't going to be a disadvantage later unless you really need that third pci-e slot or four usb3/sata 6bs ports.

the socket 1155 isn't going anywhere in the near future with haswell more than a year away. and as far as ivy bridge being worth the wait, so far it is lower in power consumption but not all that and a bag of chips in increased performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-c...
except with a 50% in crease with quick sync.

sandy bridge is looking good for awhile. . . . i am glad i got mine now so if i do upgrade next year, i just have to get an ivy chip.

!