Was new egg deactivating the 900 a bad choice?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • What's the 900?

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
You should be able to find that case on a number of other sites. I dont doubt its going out, it has been out for a long time.

I went into Frys and Microcenter and they both had removed the Coolermaster Stacker 830 case from thier display. I had to get mine online from clubit.

Frys still had the combo with the power supply but I didnt like the power supply that came with it.

You should be able to find the 900 in the neighborhood of 80-90 bucks.

Also, vendors listen to the suppliers and have the foresite to know when a product is going out. If they removed it, its likely due to Antec notifiying them they will receive less or none at all so newegg wont oversell a product thats not available.

I dont like it either but it happens all the time...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Does anyone think this could be in anticipation of the soon-to-be-released Antec Twelve Hundred (like a 900 on roids)?

Seems like it would make plenty of sense to me. I've seens some reviews on the thing and it looks like the fixed many of the "issues" with the 900, made it a full tower, and added some features.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
*just saw the 1200*

screw the 900, i'm getting myself two 1200, one for the comp and another as a house! :D

but seriously, I supposed it would make sense to get rid of the 900, that is if the 1200 was up on the website...

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The 1200 is JUST refresh of the 900, not nearly worth an upgrade. Booh Antec, they screwed up this time, everyone and their grandmother owns an Antec 900 and there is absolutely no reason to upgrade, 2 fans that is it.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

actually I don't have a 900, which is why I noticed it went missing, but it's true everyone has the antec 900, (you got to remember it has to be one the the best all around cases to have for aircooling and what not), and now the 1200 is... qeven better, like putting ice cream on pizza and getting something not only edible but totally awesome! (as long as you don't mind your computer not being portable)

but yea not worth an upgrade but definitly worth it for new OCers that was killer air cooling or have a WaterCooling phobia

to be short the 1200 will definitly be the ultimate gamer case, as long as people have the room for it :kaola:

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
IMHO, I think this case is better than the 900
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16811119137

Instead of having to pay antec for a replacement fan when the big 200mm dies, I can buy any fan for the coolermaster. I also can ensure they fans are as quiet as possible or move as much air as possible. You don't get that choice with the 900 since you have this big 200mm fan to deal with.
With the coolermaster, you can have a fan blowing on the vid card and cpu. The coolermaster has room for Seven 120mm fans, 2 of which may be on the top, there are no good angles of the top however.

sailer

Splendid
I just built a new computer last week with an Antec 900 case. It is a bit small, but incredibly quite. The 1200 case looks big and heavy. At least I've read that its 14.9 kg bare, and that seems heavy to me.

Coolermaster has great cases too. I have had coolermaster with a few of my system builds and am very happy with them. I have the Coolermaster Stacker 830 now and am VERY pleased.

I had the Antec 900 and loved that case too. My main problem with that case was its too small for all of my components. So I got the CM830 and gave the Antec to my girlfriend for her system and upgraded her CPU.

Both are great, its just what your needs are that make the difference...

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
If they have deactivated it then changes are its being discontinued. There would be no other reason to get rid of a very popular mid-sized case. Although the 900 is nice I'll never own another mid-size, full tower all the way.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
1. sales were down
2. cost went up above reasonable
3. product being revised for rerelease
4. they sold out, and it defaults to deactivation.
5. it is going to be on some big rebate deal, but they had to finish off old stock first
6. who cares? there are tens of thousands of cases worth having in the world, and newegg isn't the only place to shop for them

SirMoby

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
They also deactivated the Antec P180 and P182 cases. :( I had a P182 in my wish list and was getting ready to place an order for a full system when it disappeared.

I feel like it was a bad idea but I don't know the business reasons behind it.

If you google it Im sure you can still find vendors that have it in stock. If you really want some of these cases that are being discontinued you will need to order asap so they arent completely gone...

Newegg just had a combo deal on the Antec 900. If you bought an AMD 9600BE, you got it for $20. I was sorely tempted, but went for a Q9450 (in a CM 690) instead.
My only "mistake" with the CM 690 was to initially put a Thermaltake fan in the top; it roars when the machine is first turned on, until the BIOS undervolts it to 7.5v or 8.0v. Its replacement is on the way.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was in Microcenter in PA last weekend - they didn't have the Q9450 in that store, but they DID have the Antec 900.

Personally, I'm a little skittish about that case. Reason? It has an odd-sized fan. If that fan goes kaput, is it easily or cheaply replaced?

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Looks like Newegg has the newer cases from Antec (P182SE, Mini-P180), so it'll probably be getting the 1200 when it's available.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I think antec got bored of making them. It's about time they ended. "They got rid of the Athlon Thunderbird!!" "They stopped making 1967 Corvettes!!" everything stops production eventually.... especially in the computer world. I'm surprised it was out there as long as it was. Practically every gamer has that case lol.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

I have a question about something you just said... what is the purpose of the fans running at full speed the moment the power button is pushed? My employer has some two hundred or so Lenovo desktops that do the same thing and I hadn't really given it much thought because I assumed it was a quirk associated with that particular model of desktop.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

My guess is that it's one of two things,

1. fans by default go to full power then go down to their chosen setting when the fan controler kicks in

2. as it commonly happens most electrical computer accidents happen within the first few second, (usually the time it takes to post) so the fans are set at full blast as a precaution

I must advise that these are educated guesses at best...