Closed Solved

Speed up 3300m?

I recently bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E425, with the AMD A4-3300m. I looked at the benchmarks, and had my hopes up that this would replace my older desktop(Athlon 6000+). Upon playing some games with it, It seems a little sluggish. I opened up taskmgr to see what programs were running. I removed some unneeded stuff from bootup and other programs. FPS in Far Cry 2 rose about 5-10 and its smooth, but still sluggish on medium settings. Any other ways I can speed it up a little?

Specs: E425
3300m 1.9Ghz
4GB DDR3 1333
HD 6470m Crossfire HD 6480G
500GB 7200rpm Seagate
Windows 7 Pro w/ XP mode
Office 2007 ultimate
no bluetooth or fingerprint reader goodies :(
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about speed 3300m
  1. Laptops are not exactly the easiest things to get more speed from. Other than removing unneeded programs, which you've done already, there isn't really anything you can do to speed it up. Overclocking is generally locked by the bios on laptops.
  2. Not really. A laptop is pretty much stuck with what it has. No real upgrade options.

    You could try disabling Windows Aero see if that helps but then 7 looks bland.
  3. I got a 3300m that was in my HP laptop before I upgraded to a A8 3530mx, you can overclock this cpu to around 2.1ghz+ with ease with K10Stat but this A4 isn't the best overclocker out there.

    You should be able to get anywhere from 2.1 to 2.4ghz on this apu before maxing out the clocks. Don't worry it won't kill anything unless the board is much weaker than it should be. Power consumption at stock is 35w and doesn't rise much when overclocking.

    Voltage, if yours is better than mine then you might be able to undervolt and still raise the clocks without any real change in power consumption and heat.
  4. I've seen people overclock with K10stat, i've noted that the laptop has a massive heatsink that rarely comes on, it runs fairly cool, havnt looked at the temps, but the air that gets pushed out isn't very hot. How far do you think I could push it? Or would it be better to give up the crossfire and go with a 3530mx or 3550mx. Speaking of those, where would I buy one?
  5. jimmysmitty said:
    Not really. A laptop is pretty much stuck with what it has. No real upgrade options.

    You could try disabling Windows Aero see if that helps but then 7 looks bland.


    That didn't stop me and countless others from upgrading, all the support is in the bios and stock bios supports all the first released models except for maybe the very most recent new models like the a8 3550mx ect.
  6. Anonymous said:
    I've seen people overclock with K10stat, i've noted that the laptop has a massive heatsink that rarely comes on, it runs fairly cool, havnt looked at the temps, but the air that gets pushed out isn't very hot. How far do you think I could push it? Or would it be better to give up the crossfire and go with a 3530mx or 3550mx. Speaking of those, where would I buy one?


    I avoided getting a laptop that had a discrete gpu in favor of more integration and less likely to fail. Hybrid crossfire isn't great and results have been mixed for most so I gave up on that prospect. As for overclocking then I am guessing your temps are good and might have a better cooler than mine so overclocking should be a breeze.

    Don't buy a A8 on eBay or Amazon due to people selling them with a faulty clock divider that leaves the chip locked below stock clocks. If you do buy from then the chip is only worth like $60 because everything else works like it should. Supports DDR3 1600 out of the box but must be 1.5 only. Second the gpu is surprisingly good for most games provided that it isn't 1600x900.
  7. nforce4max said:
    That didn't stop me and countless others from upgrading, all the support is in the bios and stock bios supports all the first released models except for maybe the very most recent new models like the a8 3550mx ect.


    But where do I buy a 3550mx? I find them online but the stores seem a little flakey. Where did you get yours?
  8. I ended up with the flaky version so getting a good sample is going to take a lot of work so it is up to you to find one. Remember if the seller's location is in Naples Florida don't buy it. If you do buy ask for a big discount. $60 is what it is worth in my opinion but $80 isn't bad either and is still faster than the A6 any day of the week. At 1.733ghz it puts out 14GFlop which is only a little less than a Pentium G series SB dual core on the desktop. For the normal version around 1.9ghz it is closer to 20gflop and overclocked it can put out a lot more so even then it can pack a nice punch.
  9. nforce4max said:
    I ended up with the flaky version so getting a good sample is going to take a lot of work so it is up to you to find one. Remember if the seller's location is in Naples Florida don't buy it. If you do buy ask for a big discount. $60 is what it is worth in my opinion but $80 isn't bad either and is still faster than the A6 any day of the week. At 1.733ghz it puts out 14GFlop which is only a little less than a Pentium G series SB dual core on the desktop. For the normal version around 1.9ghz it is closer to 20gflop and overclocked it can put out a lot more so even then it can pack a nice punch.


    Is this a good site to buy one from?:
    http://www.dectrader.com/HP-ProBook-6465b-Notebook-PC-Llano-Processor-A8-3530MX-2.6-1.9GHz.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=models#.T1oxa5i80bw

    FYI: I couldn't find the 3550mx, so I'm thinking about the 3530mx, i'm pretty clueless about the whole gigaflop thing. How much of a performance increase can I expect from this?
  10. Best answer
    Gflop is a measure of floating point unit performance for any cpu. It is a type of math calculation for certain functions in computing. Most application do rely on this to some degree. The 3530mx is only 100mhz less than the 3550mx but $230 is a LOT! A SB quad core mobile costs that much. I only paid $102 after ship for mine but remember the faulty clock divider that leaves the apu locked at 1.733ghz.
  11. Best answer selected by aPanzerIV.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs