Tried to update BIOS, now getting BSOD with Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

Turtman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I tried to update my Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard (rev 1.1) to F7 using the @BIOS feature. It apparently updated correctly but now I get the blue screen of death fairly regularly, usually when I put my computer to sleep and wake it up. I also updated my GeForce GTX 560 Ti to version 310.90 but I don't think that is causing my issue, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm almost to the point of taking it to a PC repair shop or getting a new MOBO

My specs are

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.1
AMD Phenom II X4 980 Deneb
8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
1023MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (nVidia)

Any help would be great, thanks!

pat

Expert
try to raise voltage for the memory. the update might have mess a bit the timing and voltage. give it a notch over the specification.

I had to do that on mine.. the memory is a bit faster after the upgrade, but I had some trouble. I think I had to give 0.05 volts and I didn't had a single since. I did upgrade in prevision to get an FX cpu soon.

Turtman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Would you mind telling me how to do that? (I'm in my first year of PC ownership)
Is there a way to find out what voltage I should correctly have corresponding to my various components?

Thanks!

pat

Expert
it should be in the BIOS. check your manual, or download it.

Look for MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) in the BIOS.
check for System Voltage Control, set it at manual
now, in DRAM Voltage Control, set it a bit higher than what your RAM is stated for.

save and exit, it should reboot

give it a try. if your memory is normally a 1,5 volt, you can go at 1,6. I don't remember it I went to 1.55 or right to 1.6 with mine thou..