Can I change partitions when upgrading ??

G

I have a Seagate IDE 17 GB disk, on which I have win98se on the C drive and win 2K on the F drive. There are a total of 4 partitions on the disk.
I wanna upgrade to a seagate 20GB disk.
Now I want to move the win2K to the second partition becoz of the superior data transfer rates as compared to the last partition.
Can I use filecopy.exe or some such program, eg. norton ghost to switch partitions while upgrading....I mean copy C to C, but copy F to D and still have win2K boot up normally?
Please help.

G

yes and no. No, it won't work if you just do what you said. The problem is (as you probably realize) that by switching hardrives, and the letters around, you're going to confused WIN98 about where WIN2k. Now luckily that isn't as bad as it may sound. Since you installed WIN2k "ONTOP" of Win98, WIN2k has all of it's shortcuts, etc, for files it needs pointing to the C drive.. since that didn't change, you have no problems. The really bitch is that you have to manually go through and change all shortcuts that do make a difference. I suggest using a utility like partitionmagic, which does this for you. Actually, the best way to do it, may be to backup your F partition on the old drive(or whatever it was) and then move Win2k to it on the old drive first (using pmagic or some equiV). Then copy everything over, basically mirroring an old drive. Doing it one part then the other just leaves more room for errors.

Sorry if this wasn't any help, felt like hearing myself talk

-Suicidal tendencies pay off in war (at least better than a 1 to 1 ratio-

G

overall, considering everything, i would have to say, don't even try it.

your registry contains many, many, many, entries for registered dll's, registerd ocx's, ect..ect... pointing to the f: for there locations. you would have to edit your boot.ini file on the c drive, edit ini files located in the winnt directory, edit your registry...ect....ect...

the trouble would be far more than it's worth. in fact, if you did it, i'd be surprised if win2k came up in anything but safe mode...

G

OK. I would then prefer to do it the hard way. I plan to back up all my data on one of the later partitions of the new drive.
Then I install win ME on the second partition. This would be a fresh install. I am using win 2K more than 98se nowadays.
Then I install win2k over the win Me. I choose the first partition for that installation and hopefully the disk access speeds for that partition would be the best.
Would that work?
Anil.