Will this PSU work?

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hey! I was looking at this PSU (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3756955&CatId=2533) and I really liked how it was blue (match my computer) and how it had the big fan on top. It isn't Modular I know but I have really good case management. My question to you guys is, does it have all the connectors I will need to run my machine?

Here is my specs:
Case- Cooler Master Haf 912 Mid Tower Case
Case Fans- Cooler Master 120mm fans 2 blue led 4 black
DVD-RW - LG LG GH20NS10 Super Multi SATA Drive - 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD±RW, 12x DVD±R DL, Black
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor 8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI
Heatsink - Cooler Master V6GT (RR-V6GT-22PK-R1) CPU Cooler
Video Card - SAPPHIRE HD 6970 2G GDDR5 PCI-E
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Power Supply - OCZ 1000w proxstream power supply (Its been acting up)
Memory - 12GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold Low-Voltage Triple Channel OCZ3G1600LV6GK (x2 kits) with OCZ XTC Memory Cooler

How has your PSU been acting up? How do you know it's the PSU and not another piece of hardware in your system or software/drivers?

If you just want to drop the cash on another PSU, then that's fine and there are plenty of people here that will give good recommendations. And most of them will be for quality PSUs because we understand that a PSU is the heart of a PC; a good one is worth it's weight in gold and will save you a lot of blood, sweat and troubleshooting.

If you want to actually try and diagnose the 'acting up' that's happening in your system, then we can help with that, too. Let us know what it's doing....what are the 'acting up' indications and we will help you figure out what's wrong with your system.

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I think its my PSU because when I listen to it throw the back it makes a annoying whining noise, and when I play games on the highest graphics settings it makes the noise even louder. I put a new video card in and it has done it with both cards, the motherboard has been tested outside of case and didn't make any noise, hard drive is in the front of the case and the noise is coming from back.

Sounds like coil whine to me; more annoying than it is damaging. If your PSU is still under warranty, then I would send it in for RMA. OCZ is pretty good and fast on RMAs. If not under warranty and the noise is driving you crazy, then you can consider replacing....just be aware that even good PSUs can get coil whine. I've seen a decent amount of coil whine recently reported on XFX and Corsair PSUs and both of those are quality PSUs. Here's a reallyinteresting little thread on coil whine over at the Quiet PC forums: http://www.quietpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1767

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Ye, family hates it haha. Gets so loud when I am on a High res game. I might beable to get a Antec Quattro Truepower 850w for 30 dollers and my OCZ in case.

For a single HD 6970 and your rig, all you really need is a good quality 550W PSU. The Quattro would be more than sufficient. You never know what you're getting when you buy used...especially in PC components. I'd seriously consider dropping a few dollars to get a good Seasonic S12II-520....sufficient power/connections for your rig and a really good quality unit.

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

In Future I will be overclocking everything I can and Crossfiring, So 520W will be a bit low. Thanks for all the help tho!