Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Factory BIOS for Gigabyte MOBO

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 13, 2013 9:31:59 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Motherboard and need to restore it to the factory settings and do not have the BIOS saved anywhere. Where can I acquire the original version that came from the factory?
a c 154 V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 9:54:57 PM

Is the board currently 'bricked' or can you get into BIOS at all? Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds or so?
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 6:50:26 AM

C12Friedman said:
Is the board currently 'bricked' or can you get into BIOS at all? Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds or so?

I can get to the BIOS screen then if I tell it to boot, after the IRQ listing it freezes after the following line:
Verifying DMI Pool Data....AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!
After that line the cursor is blinking on the next line and nothing I press has any effect.
only ctl-alt-del works. any thoughts? Oh...I did several iterations of using the jumper, removing the batt. I downloaded all the iterations of the BIOS from the Gigabyte site and tried each of them attempting to find anything that would work. It always stops at the DMI msg.
Thanks for your help, I really hope you have some strategy for me to try.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 154 V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 9:07:52 AM

This is the best article I've found about that http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html
Hope it helps
Share
January 15, 2013 12:47:27 AM

Best answer selected by cltcgroome.
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 1:14:13 AM

C12Friedman said:
This is the best article I've found about that http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html
Hope it helps

I read the DUX site and that inspired me to go to the basics. I unplugged all my drives except the boot disk and that allowed the DMI to complete. I then upgraded the bios to the latest stable release. That worked too. Then I fully re-configured the BIOS and started adding drives.
Everything worked fine until the last step. ( which ironically was the change that started me on this path) I have two 74Gig drives and I wanted to use the onchip RAID to create a RAID 1.
I attached the drives to sata2_4 and sata2_5, configured them in bios as RAID and config as other sata's. On boot it showed the following screen:
RAID Option ROM Version 3.0.1540.47
2008 AMD
ID Mode LD Size Track-Mapping Status
=======================================================
03 1x2 RAID 1 73.99G 8996/255/63 Functional

Then nothing. The computer is frozen again.
Any thoughts on my original starting problem?
m
0
l
a c 154 V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 1:56:57 AM

Okay, that's what your manual says to do so now I'm kinda lost - if you are using old hard drives RAID may not work since the usable sectors will not match, remember RAID 1 must be done on identical hard drives - age probably took it's toll on the drives - just a guess mind you but the best I can come up with - have you defragged and compared the 74GB HDD's? That may indicate whether that is the issue
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 9:46:08 PM

C12Friedman said:
Okay, that's what your manual says to do so now I'm kinda lost - if you are using old hard drives RAID may not work since the usable sectors will not match, remember RAID 1 must be done on identical hard drives - age probably took it's toll on the drives - just a guess mind you but the best I can come up with - have you defragged and compared the 74GB HDD's? That may indicate whether that is the issue

I bought the drives at the same time that I bought the Mobo so it is a possibility. I have not defragged or compared them. However, I just wanted to use them for docs, music, pics and thought it would be cool to use the capabilities of the mobo. Then after I replied I read several posts saying to Not use the mobo raid as it can leave you in a world of hurt.
Given the simple use I intend for them it seems far easier to set a cron to copy the directories so rather than mess with it I will spend my time better elsewhere.
I want to really thank you for your help. My computer is fully functioning again. I appreciate it.
m
0
l
!