What's wrong with my build? Please help!!

Kyogre504

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
So I've built a new computer and everything seems to work( all the fans are spinning and motherboard lights are spinning) but I don't get a video signal? Any ideas? Maybe a DOA graphics card or RAM or even MOBO?
MOBO: M5A97
CPU: AMD FX 4100
VGA: XFX RADEON HD 6870
PSU: OCZ Zs 750w
RAM: GSkill Snipers 8GB (4GB x2)

Solution

This is your problem right here - you're using a 970 with the FX CPU. Update the BIOS on your motherboard before you install an FX processor on an older chipset. Even the 990FX boards have problems running the FX at first.

Asus tech support says you need BIOS version 0705 to run the FX 4100.

g-unit1111

Titan

This is your problem right here - you're using a 970 with the FX CPU. Update the BIOS on your motherboard before you install an FX processor on an older chipset. Even the 990FX boards have problems running the FX at first.

Asus tech support says you need BIOS version 0705 to run the FX 4100.

Solution

Kyogre504

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Ok, so i tried booting with only the Mobo and Cpu and HSF, but no beeps, does that mean that the MObo is DOA? The lights and fans all work tho. I dont see and bent pins on the cpu either.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
You're going to have to get a Phenom II or Athlon II Socket AM3 cpu so that you can update the BIOS to version 0705. That motherboard was most likely developed and manufactured before the FX Processors(Socket AM3+) were available and therefore the BIOS doesn't know how to configure itself to operate with your CPU.