Does Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 support IVB?

rexus03

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I have yet to buy a processor but i have the asrock z68 ex3g3. I am unable to test if this is with the latest bios because I don't have a cpu yet. Anyway, I'm going for the i5 k IVB to be released soon. If I buy the cpu will I be able to plug it in and update the bios so I can use it full or do I need to have another Sandy Bridge processor to have it updated first the plug the IVB?

I'm going with this board since it supports pcie gen3 and it's the only one i can afford right now. Also, I've read that power phases on the boards with newer chipsets are worse than the z68's currently in the market since IVB consumes only little power. Please don't tell me to buy z77.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Their website shows no support currently for IVB in all the BIOS updates or CPU support list. My experienced guess would be that if they approve IVB compatibility, it will be done through a BIOS update, in which case you'd need a supported Sandy Bridge to get the machine fired up and the BIOS updated.

No current products should show support for a processor that hasnt been released at this time. With a Bios update from the motherboard manufacturer the Z68 chipset should be able to support are next generation of Intel® Core™ processors. It is important to note that you may not get all the features of future processors supported on the board.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

rexus03

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

You don't say? It's been the second thread of mine that you answered and failed to give the information I need. I know that I'm still a noob compared to you guys but seriously could you read the question? It seems like you don't even try.

Guy above gave me a good answer not some vague ones coming from you. Also, no brand lists support, YET. However, asus, asrock, etc. have made ads that it will be supported. Otherwise, their gen3 boards will simply not work.

I am sorry that you find that my answers are not fitting your needs but due to the fact that you are asking about a product that hasn't released and topping that off with a manufacturer that may or may released the needed Bios update to use that processor on the board in question I can not give you a firm answer.

We have released a Bios update that should enable most Z68 boards to support our next generation Intel® Core™ processors but it is always up to the motherboard manufacturer if there will adapt those Bios to their boards and then release them. To set answer on this you will have to wait until the release of the processors.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

rexus03

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

Well, suppose they don't release the BIOS. It wouldn't make sense since they have pcie gen3 support. Anyway, I just needed to confirm that I would need another cpu for the BIOS update prior to using an IVB cpu. I know you couldn't provide any straight answers well because you work for Intel and saying or disclosing any information prior to official releases could be against your "job." So, yeah, next time please consider reading the questions and don't think that people can't deduce anything from existing information. eg You saying asrock or any other product may not release the said BIOS while clearly they say that pcie gen3 is supported is such nonsense.