High-pitched noise from Motherboard

sutte

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hello,

I just received parts for a new computer last friday.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX2
PSU: Corsair TX550M
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7870
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC1600
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i

Every time I run the system, this annoying high-pitched sound appears from the motherboard (i think).
It is almost constant, sometimes it stops for a minute, but eventually continues. It also doesn't change with my computer's activity level.

The sound is not extremely loud, but loud enough to be annoying.

I tried another PSU in the system, that didn't help. I also tried disabling C1E, C3 and C6 states in the BIOS as suggested by other threads; no luck.

Here's a link to the sound it makes: http://picosong.com/3DNy/ (It is recorded from the back of the motherboard where the CPU is placed). There's some background noise in the recording, but it's the 'eee'-part of it.

Thanks in advance.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Sounds like a defective capacitor causing electrical whine.It will fail soon.

Try unplugging all of your fans, except your cpu heatsink. See if the sound is still there.

If it is, try another CPU heatsink with no fans, still there? Must be the mothterboard with a defective cap.

ALSO, try unplugging your harddrive and GPU and see if those are a cause for concern.

ALSO, Do you have an optical drive?

sutte

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks for the quick response.

I tried unplugging all of my fans, HDDs and my GPU. None of that is the cause. And I don't have an optical drive, no.
I guess it must be the motherboard then.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

See if its not the heatsink for the CPU,

If not, its deffinately a cap on the motherboard.

My 3570k has some electrical whine, but thats not an issue for me, I overvolted it and its still pretty quiet.