Setzera

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello,
I'm considering buying a medium priced PC for gaming, I've spent several days mulling over my options and price ranges, and I've come across a PC that I need some answers on before I can continue or make a purchase. I've used AMD for a long time, but none of the prebuilt AMD's in my price range have what I'm looking for right now, I basically want to avoid the whole AMD vs Intel debate in this thread, and just get some honest answers on the following things.

Here is a link to the prebuilt PC I'm looking at:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=807392

Also as for my questions, I have 3.

1) On this system here, can I simply replace that i5-2300 with an i5-2500, or am I going to run in to a problem? (Note I can't seem to find any detailed motherboard specs at the moment.)

2) Also, with the H67, does that mean I can't do any overclocking, not even the limited overclock that the 2300 / 2500 CPU provides?

3) Is there anything on the linked PC, that I should be wary of? Mainly in terms of future upgrades that I'll need in less than a year, ie. GPU? Game wise I only plan to play a few things, like Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3, but I'd like to have the option to play something like Crysis or BattleField 3 on at least medium settings smoothly.

Thanks

Solution
can I simply replace that i5-2300 with an i5-2500
Yes. The sockets are exactly the same so they will fit right it. If you are willing to go and replace the CPU, why not build the entire thing yourself!
You seem to know how to build one (the hardest part is replacing a CPU) so choose what parts you really want and save some cash.

with the H67, does that mean I can't do any overclocking
The only "overclocking" available on any CPU with the H67 is assigning the preset turbo bins. The maximum frequency increase in 300MHz for a single core - with more cores = less frequency overclock. Any i5 2500K upgrade would be wasted as you can't use the unlocked CPU anyway.

Is there anything on the linked PC, that I should be wary...

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
1. Yes you can replace to a i5-2500 without any issues because the motherboard will support.
2. The over clocking option depends on the motherboard here. If that motherboard supports changing fsb frequencies and voltages, then you can overclock. Since both the processor do not have a unlocked multiplier, you cant overclock it by that way. However usually these types of pre built system doesn't have motherboard capable of overclocking.
3. The biggest thing to be aware of is the PSU. The 300W PSU has to be changed if you wish to get a powerful graphic card or add more components to the system.

Good luck!

mattyg_nz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
can I simply replace that i5-2300 with an i5-2500
Yes. The sockets are exactly the same so they will fit right it. If you are willing to go and replace the CPU, why not build the entire thing yourself!
You seem to know how to build one (the hardest part is replacing a CPU) so choose what parts you really want and save some cash.

with the H67, does that mean I can't do any overclocking
The only "overclocking" available on any CPU with the H67 is assigning the preset turbo bins. The maximum frequency increase in 300MHz for a single core - with more cores = less frequency overclock. Any i5 2500K upgrade would be wasted as you can't use the unlocked CPU anyway.

Is there anything on the linked PC, that I should be wary of?
Power: 300 Watt You WILL run into issues if and when you want to upgrade the GPU (which you should - the one there isn't great).
The GTX520 is woeful. You are wasting money on a place holder while you go buy a better one. Trust me - it sucks: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_520/12.html.
The hard drive is eco (at 5200RPM). You won't like the load times but it's great for storing things (music, videos).
No USB3.0. Are you interested in it? This will make you miss out (without purchasing a PCI(-E) card).

Sorry if I sound harsh. I reckon you should build you own and make it awesome!

Solution

Emelth

Distinguished
+1 to both above people.

They are absolutely correct. If you want to OC, get the i5 2500k and a Z68 or P67 motherboard. That price is a steal though just alone with the 1.5TB HDD, and the GPU is crappy for gaming. (one thing I noticed is that in the header it says 1.5TB but in the description it just says 1TB so I would look into that if I were you)

The RAM is 1333, now of days you want to go with DDR3 1600 it will make it faster responding.

Build your own is what I would say it would be fun and exciting and you would really cherish the crap out of it a good start would be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.755265&cm_sp=DIY_PC_Combos-_-755265-_-Combo

Just needs a GPU and you will be good, but you wont be able to SLI/CF for future reference on the GPUs above a GTX 550

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Memory:
I don't agree with DDR3 1600 for faster response unless you are using a Llano plataform using the igp.

For real world usage the DDR3 1333 doesn't suffer comparing with the DDR3 1600.
You won't get faster fps from games for example. (since the ram isn't the bottleneck, or the slowest part in the PC).

Of course, for peace of mind, you could stick with DDR3 1600, but it's not necessary.

PSU: Do NOT stick with the 300w PSU

GPU:
Too much slow, it's the slowest Nvidia 5XX series. It's performance is worse comparing the Llano A8 integrated graphics. Slower than a 9500GT DDR2, GT 220 DDR2. You got the idea don't?

Link for this info: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html

Setzera

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
perfectblue - Thanks for the answers, they were very helpful! I was looking at so many computers yesterday that I thought that computer had a 600W PS, but that was a different one.

mattyg_nz - Also thanks for the answers, I forgot to check out which graphic card it had, I made the mistake of only seeing the 1GB dedicated memory. As for the harddrive, it's the lowest RPM of all the PC's in that price range, I might have to reconsider that too. As for USB 3.0, honestly I haven't looked in to what it does yet, I'm almost thinking I shouldn't otherwise it might make deciding even tougher. lol

Emelth - I checked the manufacturer site, it said 1.5, I checked because I noticed that too. I always try to double or even triple check the information before I buy anything, that's why some of the other computers on the site I linked are not in my top ranks, can't find any detailed information anywhere. As for the Combo Pack you linked, I appreciate it but I'd need to buy a GPU and an OS, that's a few hundred more than I was hoping to spend at the moment. I have looked at a few barebones kits, but I haven't found the right fit yet.

vitornob - I agree, I have no problems sticking with 1333 speed for now since I plan to have 8 - 16GB of RAM, and when it comes to loading times I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds each time. I appreciate that link also, it helped me make another decision too. As said above I made the mistake of over looking the PSU W and GPU Brand, I know how important they are, but by the time I signed up and posted a topic, my next step was sleep.

---

Now for an update on my situation.

After visiting the links here, the first one vitornob posted showed me the peformance of the graphics cards, if I've read it properly it looks like the GTX 550Ti is on the same level as the Radeon HD 6770, which is good since I've found another tower that has it, while remaining in my price range.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1418813

This one here is almost identical to the one posted in vitornob's second's reply, except for the following things. It's AMD instead of Intel, the GPU is Radeon instead of GTX, and it's $200 cheaper than the other one made by the same company (Ibuypower).

So 2 things I remain that I need help with.

1) For both of the ibuypower computers linked in this thread on the tigerdirect.ca website, when I go to ibuypower.com I cannot find any information on these builds even existing. Furthermore I can't find any information anywhere on them, aside from the fact they are sold by Tigerdirect, CompUSA, and CircuitCity websites. When I can't find when a sliver of information on a computer, it makes me nervous to buy.

2) What are everyones thoughts on the new link I posted, it seems like a better choice than the first one I linked.

Sorry for the length of this reply.

mattyg_nz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Looking good! Looks like the homework paid off - good find with the 6770 vs 550Ti. The new machine looks much more balanced for what you are wanting to do - everything works well. It comes with a larger Power supply (600 W) this time so you might even have room for a graphics card swap later down the track (although the CPU might start to struggle!). Pull the trigger I say (or wait ages for price drops/new tech). Good luck and glad to help