Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Arctic
  • Silver
  • MSI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 9, 2011 7:34:44 AM

MSI 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC edition, came with 880Mhz core clock, I've got it up to 950Mhz on same voltage.

I wasn't thrilled with my temps, would idle around 35C, but under load it wasn't unusual to see temps in the 80C+, so I took off the cooler and scraped off factory thermal compound ( of which there looked to be a bit much ) and reapplied using arctic silver 5 ( I'm a fan of the credit card spreading method and yes I cleaned all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol first)...
now card temps are a little strange... I idle at about 37C which is slightly higher than before, but under full load temps don't get over 53C, which is fantastic... the weird part is, after returning to idle immediately following a load test, I idle at 29C, until I reboot, then my idle temp is back to 37C.

( Yes fan speeds are the same at both these temps )

Why am I getting such a different reading before and after load?

More about : msi 560 temps reapply thermal arctic silver

a c 217 U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 4:30:01 PM

The other possibility is due to the fan profile. It's possible that fan is running a lower RPM on those idle temps and the fan profile doesn't kick into higher RPM's until it reaches a certain temp.
Score
Related resources
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 4:36:25 PM

Close on a 30c improvement! Impressive. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have a go at redoing the TIM on my cards.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 5:33:40 PM

bystander said:
The other possibility is due to the fan profile. It's possible that fan is running a lower RPM on those idle temps and the fan profile doesn't kick into higher RPM's until it reaches a certain temp.

+1; configure and activate your fan profile at a better arc and see if that might help with your low temp issue. Your max temps are low, dont see what the issue is here really. I wished my gpu temps stayed that low under max load
Score
October 9, 2011 5:41:30 PM

^ fans are at same speed at both idle readings, 40% speed.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 6:23:31 PM

then on startup maybe your gpu is having to do some small amount of work such as aero effects, and all that? i wouldnt be worried about a 37c idle. sometimes mine is at 38 sometimes 30, i dont sweat it
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 6:30:01 PM

if your fan is the same at both idle readings, then the fan profile isnt set to increase until it reaches a certain temp, which 37 isnt that temp. check your arc and play around with it
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 6:32:17 PM

Quote:
I have an agressive fan profile. :lol:  :whistle: 

yeah, mine is 1% for every degree celcius maxed at 75% fan speed to keep noise down
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 6:48:45 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
yeah, mine is 1% for every degree celcius maxed at 75% fan speed to keep noise down

I usually add a 100% fan point after 90C just to prevent damage. It should never hit 90C, but if it does go over, I don't want a melt down.
Score
October 9, 2011 7:18:27 PM

im certainly not saying 37C idle or 53C load is a problem, those temps are definately great. My concern is that my temp SENSOR might be off/defective in some way to give such different readings under near identical circumstances. Anyway, not a critical issue, just thought it was weird and wanted to see if anyone knew why. Thanks all

Score

Best solution

a c 217 U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 7:34:10 PM

There is also the possibility that the AS5 compound isn't as good at low temps, but a lot better at high temps compared to the previous compound.
a c 217 U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 7:40:48 PM

I decided to give it a shot on my ASUS 470's as they ramp up to be very loud under heavy load. Unfortunately, ASUS likes to use lock-tight on few of their tiny little screws. At least one is impossible to unscrew.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 7:41:48 PM

bystander said:
There is also the possibility that the AS5 compound isn't as good at low temps, but a lot better at high temps compared to the previous compound.

+1
Score
October 9, 2011 9:20:35 PM

Best answer selected by jadedmonkey.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 9, 2011 9:25:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!