No startup fan keeps turning on and off

deepankarchatterjee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
When I use to put 'on' the switch next to my power plug (without still having pressed the power button of my CPU cabinet) I use to see the CPU and cabinet fans run for a second and then stop. Next I press the power button on my CPU cabinet and my PC use to run fine. This was a normal startup sequence.

Now what has started is that as I put 'on' the switch next to my power plug (without still having pressed the power button of my CPU cabinet) I find the CPU and the cabinet fans run for a second, then stop, then again run for a second and stop and this sequence goes on.

If I press the power button on my CPU cabinet, nothing happens that is, no system boot up.

I doubt the power supply as the culprit. Help me diagnosis and resolution.

Regards

Deepankar

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
yikes doesn't sound too good my friend, well first off i wouldn't rule out the psu offhand if you follow this link

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/power-supply-units-98/what-s-a-multimeter-how-to-use-it-to-test-75111.html

it shows you how to test your psu and what you should be looking for as well, its a pretty good guide i find. if you find the psu is fine then a manual inspection of your motherboard for scorch marks would be a step maybe if your more comfortable doing that first you could as well .. if these 2 are ok then it only leaves your processor that i would think would stop it from booting

Sounds like the PSU or it's ON-switch are at fault. They are not designed to be used ALL the time; if you are concerned of power usage while PC is off, you could get an extension cord with a switch on it and use that instead of the PSU's switch. An extension cord is cheaper and easier to replace than a PSU.