Some info please

CMax_2006

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hello Guys.

Hope to keep this short and simple lol, ive a pre build system its just a basic PBell with a D 925 but it was time for me to upgrade
the pc lasted me around 3/4 years i got it cheap so i was happy with the computer did look into just updating the CPU but i seen a motherboard - Abit AB9 QuadGT for sale went for this because of the 775 socket and i could run crossfire down the line, next thing i got was the CPU intel E6750 2.66ghz not the fastest chip but i seen they can be overclocked to 3.2ghz i might overclock it i dont know maybe i will upgrade this CPU to something better any ideas?

the graphics card have is HD4850 512mb this will be getting changed ive the system all up and working its nice and quick with just
2x 1GB x PC2-6400 @ 400mhz

I hope the above helps when helpping to answer my questions below, i want to use the computer for Internet, watching HD movies, music, downloadig and maybe play some games when i get a good graphics card basic a good all rounder lol :D

now the questions:

1. how much RAM should i use 4GB or 8GB?
2. should i use 800mhz to get the most out of my system?
3. does the ram have to be matched from same brand in the 4 DIMM slots? (why i asked is i used a 2GB PC-6400 666mhz in one slot and the two other in the 3rd & 4th slots and the PC crashed)
4. what does dual memory mean?

i must point out am still new to computers i did build a system around 2002/3 and lost intrest in computers! but i hope to get into them again

am sorry for the my 1st post being so long and i wish to say thanks in advance for any advice! :D

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
1) If you use a 32 bit O/S, 4GB is all it can access. If you have a 64 bit O/S, you can move up to 8GB max the board can accept. More RAM is always better if the O/S can use it.

2) The faster the memory, the faster the system will respond at certain tasks; like gaming. It isn't imperative you upgrade to 800MHZ, but 400MHZ DDR2 is quite slow. Unfortunately, DDR2 is obsolete and expensive when you find it.

3) It is always best to install memory sticks in matched pairs when dealing with Dual Channel memory systems. And install the sticks in the matching color DIMM slots. It is also advised to keep the pairs the same size, speed, and timing. Best to keep them all the same.

4) Dual Channel refers to the platform, actually. But people sometimes refer to the memory as dual channel as well.
http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3751

If you don't already have the manual for that motherboard, you may be able to get it here: http://abit.ws/page/en/download/download_manual_detail.php@pFILE_TYPE=Manual&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=AB9+QuadGT&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

CMax_2006

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
thank you sir for your reply!

am using win7 64bit ive seen some DDR2 800MHz only thing is its only in 1GB but they are both the same make and type or should i get some 2GB per slot?

also what would be the best cpu for this board its used for internet music and HD movies and maybe games new card will be picked once the ram is sources

once again thank you

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador