AMD FX 4170 Fastest AMD Gaming Processor??

Solution
Most games don't use more than 2 cores right now, so I can understand it since its clocked higher.

But funny side note, my old QX6850 is in the same arena as a FX-8150 and the FX-8120 is in the same bracket as my older Q6600.

Still, most games need higher clock than more cores.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I agree, although Newegg has it for $140 w/free shipping. But for pure gaming, the i3-2120 is still a tier above, and at $113 w/ promo code seems to be a better deal.

I thought maybe it was a typo in the chart. Might be worth looking into for a budget gamer....

Most games don't use more than 2 cores right now, so I can understand it since its clocked higher.

But funny side note, my old QX6850 is in the same arena as a FX-8150 and the FX-8120 is in the same bracket as my older Q6600.

Still, most games need higher clock than more cores.

Solution

Yes. I have been following the FX 4000 benchmarks for a while. The 4170 is the best gaming part, at stock speeds at least.

I think its due to the fact the most games don't use the extra cores and that there is twice as much cache per core on the 2 module parts. All the FX parts, regardless of core count, perform within 5% of each other in games at the same clock speed. And the 4170 is, by far, the fastest clocked FX part.