New PC Problems...Please help.........

abhishek2k11

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello All,
This is my First post here, so If I am breaking any rules, I am very sorry and please forgive me. I am also unaware if this is the correct section to post. However, I hope that even if it isn't, some kind moderator would put it in the proper section seeing I'm a newbie here. Now onto my problem:

Just assembled a new Desktop 2 weeks ago. My configurations are:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Processor.
ASUS M5A97 Pro Evo Motherboard.
CORSAIR Vengeance 2 X 4 GB DDR 3 1600 Mhz Kit (Total 8 GB Ram).
MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk Graphics Card.
Seasonic S12II 520W PSU.
NZXT Guardian 921 RB Cabinet with 3 120 mm Blue LED Fans & 1 140 mm Blue LED Fan.
Rest are: 600va UPS, Logitech Keyboard, CM Storm Gaming Mouse, Altec Lansing 2.1 Speakers, Dell 20" LED Monitor etc, LG DVD Burner, 3 Blue Cathode Tubes.

Now, my problem is When I play games, certain times randomly after 2-3 hrs the PC restarts all of its own. There are no BSODs, Crashes or Shut downs. It just restarts. I have measured all my GPU, CPU & Fan temps & Voltages and all seem to be fine. I have used Memtest to test RAM, Furmark to test GPU, HW Monitor for voltages, ASUS AI Suite II for CPU Temps & MSI Afterburner for GPU Temps. I have the latest 290 Beta Drivers from Nvidia, Disabled all useless services & sidebar, Kaspersky 2012 fully updated & scanned without a single malware or virus, Case is dust free, ambient temperature is OK, cable management is fine. GPU Idle temp is 33C and under lfull load around 55-60C. CPU Idle Temp is 45C and under full load around 60-65C. Fans are all running properly and dust free. Ventilation seems OK. Also MOBO & GPU Bios latest one. Also, I have tried several times to get a Windows Dump file but it doesn't generate. In Windows Folder, i even created the Minidump folder, but nothing is there...no .dmp file. In the event log it says critical error Event ID 41 Kernel power Failure.... ID 0....which I think means unknown error. Also, I have not OC'ED any components and turned off the automativcally restart option from Windows. This has happened 4-5 times while playing Modern Warfare 3 online, Battlefield 3, Dirt 3 etc.

I am really at my wit's end about what to do. Everything suggests that its my PSU which is at fault but then again I did a thourough research online before buying and everywhere this PSU was highly recommended and said that it should be able to handle my system with relative ease. Now I can buy a new PSU if that is inedeed the problem but just wanted your expert views to double check so that I dont end up buying a new PSU, with still the old problem persisting.

Many thankd=s for reading such a huge post with patience. Any feedback and help is highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance and have a nice day. Regards,

Abhishek.

abhishek2k11

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I had the WHQL 285 as well and the problem was there also.

abhishek2k11

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I also think this is the probable cause. right now Im a bit low on funds but I hope to get the Corsair TX 650 v2 Single rail 12V@ 52 amps ASAP.

abhishek2k11

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I am trying a few things before RMAing the PSU...like changing the RAM slots and disabling the AMD cool n quiet technology as I read somewhere it also causes random reboots...after that Ill test with a 650w PSU borrowed from a friend and game on it for 4-6 hrs non-stop. If it doesnt reboot (hopefully) then ill change the PSU.

rockxdude

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

Yea, but see if your friend has a PSU, and check by using it.
Otherwise if the problem is not with PSU, then your money will get waste.

But 99% is the PSU problem..

just disconnect those cathode tubes and the fans that you can spare and try running with case open to account for airflow of turned of fans. Try to minimize power draw and see if it still happens. Also, you say you've checked voltages, did they conform to what you're supposed to see under load?

simple ways to check if psu is working properly is to get a multi tester, you know

abhishek2k11

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Did what you told...turned off the cathodes and LEDs, still rebooted 2 hrs into Modern Warfare 3...will test with a multi tester....and a spare PSU of at least 600W from a friend for a day and then I will change the PSU...looks to me like a PSU issue more and more. BTW many thanks to all of you for replying.

abhishek2k11

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I will be upgrading my PSU in the next 2-3 days....It is a choice between the following:

1. Corsair TX 750 V2 (750 watts, 62amps @ 12v single rail)
2. Seasonic SS 850AT (850 watts, 70 amps @ 12v single rail)

Either should be more than sufficient for my GPU & setup, hope that it will resolve the problem, keeping my fingers crossed...will post the results after getting the new PSU.