Your opinion please, gaming PC from about a year ago.

notavailable

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hi everyone!

I have this system from about a year ago, before Sandy Bridge and the 990FX chipset. I use it for internet and gaming, but nothing hardcore execpt of Crysis 2, and I don't plan on anything "too heavy" for now... I think it is starting to get old, and I wanted your opinion. Money is not an issue but I have other things to use it for, so if you suggest an upgrade, only if its necessary for my needs please. It is more expensive in my country too. I don't do any kind of editing, only what I said above.

Thats the system:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2GHz
Arctic Alpine 64 Pro
GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev 2.1)
G.Skill ECO 1600MHz F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (X2=8GB)
SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD6870 CrossfireX
Corsair HX 850W
WD Caviar Black 500GB.
ZALMAN Z7 Plus

How is it? You think it will be good with games like C&C for another couple of years? What about the hardcore ones?

I'm asking because I'm very disappoined from all of the news about new hardware this year, and this system cost me alot of money a year ago...

Thank you! :)

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I agree that your system looks good for a while longer. The main time to upgrade is when you feel you are not able to play games (or do some other process) the way you want. For some situations OCing your CPU will help but is probably not needed right now.

I have a weaker system than yours which is meeting my needs...but the key thing is what are your needs? Since it just sounds like gaming and internet it looks like you are good as long as you are fine with "high" game settings and not maxing everything.

Also if you do decide to upgrade in a year or two you may want to consider just upgrading the GPU and OCing your CPU at that time. It all really depends on system requirements for games. Once you start falling below the recommended spec is probably the time to think about upgrade, but if things are working fine now then upgrading now is probably a waste of money.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Easily you can squeeze this system for incoming years.. when all games got too heavy, low some of the quality settings..
I would say it will last two more years with a good gaming quality.

And yes, OClocking the CPU should give a nice boost since IMO your CPU is holding back a bit your Crossfire

notavailable

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

You mean bottleneck? I don't understand what IMO is sorry... and if you did mean bottleneck, I know about it but I don't really notice it for now...

Thank you all for your replies, I think I will upgrade when I will not be satisfied anymore, as you said, and then I'll check if overclocking will really be helpful.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I wouldn't upgrade. I'd OC the processor if you notice 100% CPU use in your games.

I just bought an i5-2500k with a Radeon 6870 for my gaming & video editing PC and I'm sure I'll be happy with it for a few years. I figure I'll CF if I need a graphics boost.

notavailable

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I'm not even close to 100% CPU usage, at least not on Windows Task Manager, but it is getting hot when I play Crysis 2. not over 60C but hot...

I will OC it probably when needed.

Thank you all! I feel better now :)

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
It might not be the best system, but its a very good system, and will meet your needs. (Please don't take this the wrong way, I only mean that, as with all PCs, something better has come along, in this case it was in the form of Sandy Bridge.)

If I had your configuration, I'd be happy to wait for Intel's Haswell platform in 2013, and AMD/Nvidia's successor to the Radeon 7xxx/GeForce 6xx in the similar timeframe.

As others have mentioned earlier in the thread, consider OCing your CPU, since you've got a good GPU setup.

Consider adding in an SSD for your OS, you'll be pleased with the boost it gives you (more so in boot/browsing than in gaming). The SSD can be carried forward into your next build, so its a worthwhile investment. 120/128 GB seems to be a sweet spot for SSDs as of now.

notavailable

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions!
I thought about an SSD, but an M4 of 128GB costs about 300$ where I live, and 64GB about 170$. I don't think it worth the investment since I can fully restart my system in less than a minute... Maybe later, when I will OC or upgrade, I'm not sure yet.
Anyway, thank you all, helped me a lot! :)