Triple-Display Compatibility - XFX HD 5750 1GB (Dual Slot)

squall-loire

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hi there,

I'm looking to expand my current two-monitor setup with a third for EyeFinity, but wanted to check my options before I start splashing out on the wrong hardware. I'm currently using two Samsung SyncMaster E1920NW monitors and was going to add a third of the same, but noticed that they only have D-Sub 15pin inputs. At the moment, these are connected with DVI-to-VGA adapters and standard VGA cables.

Ports on the card are as follows:
DVI-I (VGA adapter attached)
DVI-I (VGA adapter attached)
HDMI
Display Port

Now, as I understand it the fact that these SyncMasters only have D-sub inputs means that it's all analogue, whereas the two unused ports are digital, meaning converters are quite expensive (the ones I've found are upwards of £30 for a dongle). Looking around, I'm hard pressed to find 19" widescreen monitors that have anything other than D-sub input.

I'm looking to figure out which would be the most viable option (considering cost, ease, stability, and whether it actually works) from the following:
- Dual-Link adapter to DVI-I port, VGA adapter on both outputs (does this work?)
- HDMI to VGA adapter
- Display Port to VGA adapter
- 19" widescreen monitor with digital inputs (please link if you know of one)
- Complete larger display setup (all screens must be equal size, so changing one means changing the lot)

(Edit: Apologies, I realise this should have been posted as a question rather than as a discussion =/ )

You have no choice but to use a Displayport for the third display.

You need an ACTIVE display port adapter and as they can only be digital, you wil need a digital screen, one with either HDMI or DVI.

Displayport - DVI
MiniDisplay - DVI

The above are the only flavours the ACTIVE display ports come in.

I would have sold the two screens and bought one 24".

squall-loire

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately a tight budget prevents me from getting larger screens (and one screen is never as good as many no matter it's size - I'm unaware of any monitor that will give me 4320x900 resolution), particularly when it comes to games like EVE Online where you've so many windows open at any given time.

Having done a bit of further research I've decided to test it with another E1920 monitor, connected via an active DisplayPort - VGA adapter (taken from the officially supported list on the AMD EyeFinity site). I've picked up the monitor relatively cheap, so if it turns out to be incompatible I should be able to make my money back and put it towards a monitor with digital input as standard.

Thanks again for your reply =)