Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Wait for Ivybridge - gaming ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 10, 2012 12:37:54 AM

I am looking to upgrade my 4-5 year old computer.

Current specs so you can see:

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Socket AM2 (940)

Northbridge NVIDIA GeForce 6150 rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP rev. A3
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Single

Mainboard Model ASUS M2NPV-VM

Display adapter
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Memory size 1024 MB
Memory bus width 256 bits


basically the only thing I can upgrade is RAM and a video card. I bought this computer back for $1200 in the day. It has been good, with the exception of 2 dead power supplies (one just a few days ago).

This computer could handle a few games during it's time on max graphics, but everything coming out now on either medium or medium/low. Skyrim - medium/low, Shogun 2 - medium/low, etc, Counter-Strike GO Beta - medium.

I am looking at Intel since they seem to be the best now. Specifically i5 2500k since I was told on another forum it should last years and max ANYTHING on ultra/very high with a good GPU.

The only thing Is I was told to wait for Ivybridge.

From a google search Ivybridge will have much better gpu performance and a little better cpu.

However I remember when sandybridges first came out they were recalled. I worry this could happen with Ivybridge.

Your thoughts and your suggestions on a solid build.

Goal: Max all new games with good FPS.
Budget: $1000. I have seen some good builds for $800.

More about : wait ivybridge gaming

March 10, 2012 2:16:44 AM

IB is a major jump forward for non gamers who only need graphics for youtube and dvds. For gaming and other things IB will not obsolete your 2500k at all. IB does not come out for over 45 days, I say if that is the only thing holding you back, dive in.

I would however wait for a 7870... that card is gonna be the sweetspot of this gen.

Get a Z68 MOBO (P67 is there is a deal)

Ram- get at least 8gb of 1600 mghz ram
Score
0
March 10, 2012 2:38:27 AM

you mean for gaming and other things Sandybridge will not be obsolete?

What is 7870? A radeon new GPU? Haven't had a radeon in years. They all burnt out I never went back.

and sorry this might be the wrong forum if a moderator wants to move it. It was just related to Ivybridge.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
March 10, 2012 3:50:42 AM

Sandybridge, games now are more gpu dependent than cpu dependent. So a high end gpu would be where you want to invest in.
Score
0
March 10, 2012 4:04:51 AM

amuffin said:
Sandybridge, games now are more gpu dependent than cpu dependent. So a high end gpu would be where you want to invest in.

so why are some gamers waiting for Ivybridge?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 4:48:56 AM

zyzz said:
so why are some gamers waiting for Ivybridge?


because its new. who doesnt want the newest item out? ;) 
Score
0
March 10, 2012 5:32:34 AM

I think what you're referring to, as far as gpu on the Ivy Bridge, is the on-board video card of the CPU. This isn't going to apply if you're using a discrete video card. The Ivy Bridge should have some models with higher clock speeds, making it more attractive for gaming, but its main focal point is reducing power consumption.

That said, if you're going to be running games at 1680x1050, you don't need the fastest cpu on the planet and most expensive GPU. So, when it comes to maximizing all the new games, it is relative to what monitor you'll be gaming on and the resolution of that monitor.

You can certainly build a $1000 system that will let you max out games now, depending on your monitor's resolution, but with the new GTX 600 series (March 12th or 16th reportedly) and Ivy Bridge coming out in the 2nd quarter, if you feel like waiting may save you some future upgrades, then feel free.

The nice thing with gaming is that for most of us it's a luxury, and therefore we can always wait....
Score
0
a c 186 à CPUs
March 10, 2012 5:39:17 AM

Dude, if he has a $1000 budget, do you think he is going to use onboard!! :lol: 
Score
0
March 10, 2012 5:47:47 AM

amuffin said:
Dude, if he has a $1000 budget, do you think he is going to use onboard!! :lol: 



I was addressing his previous statement,
Quote:
From a google search Ivybridge will have much better gpu performance and a little better cpu.


And, as I said,
Quote:
This isn't going to apply if you're using a discrete video card.

Score
0
March 10, 2012 7:18:17 PM

I have a 22 inch samsung monitor native resolution 1680x1050. It's a great monitor I have had for years and I have no intention of upgrading it.

So will I be able to max games with that resolution?

Sounds like ivybridge isn't worth it so I shouldn't wait.

Score
0
a c 186 à CPUs
March 10, 2012 9:46:26 PM

Yes. It's a fairly decent resolution and a mid-high ranged gpu should be able to max most games.
Score
0
March 10, 2012 10:10:44 PM

zyzz said:
I am looking to upgrade my 4-5 year old computer.

Current specs so you can see:

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Socket AM2 (940)

Northbridge NVIDIA GeForce 6150 rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP rev. A3
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Single

Mainboard Model ASUS M2NPV-VM

Display adapter
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Memory size 1024 MB
Memory bus width 256 bits


basically the only thing I can upgrade is RAM and a video card. I bought this computer back for $1200 in the day. It has been good, with the exception of 2 dead power supplies (one just a few days ago).

This computer could handle a few games during it's time on max graphics, but everything coming out now on either medium or medium/low. Skyrim - medium/low, Shogun 2 - medium/low, etc, Counter-Strike GO Beta - medium.

I am looking at Intel since they seem to be the best now. Specifically i5 2500k since I was told on another forum it should last years and max ANYTHING on ultra/very high with a good GPU.

The only thing Is I was told to wait for Ivybridge.

From a google search Ivybridge will have much better gpu performance and a little better cpu.

However I remember when sandybridges first came out they were recalled. I worry this could happen with Ivybridge.

Your thoughts and your suggestions on a solid build.

Goal: Max all new games with good FPS.
Budget: $1000. I have seen some good builds for $800.


deffintley wait for ivybridge. your going to need to buy a new motherboard for it as well, your current socket is probably 775. your going to need to buy a socket 1155 for ib. theres no point in buying a sandy bridge right now, in less then a month or 2 ib will be here i would wait and get the latest
Score
0
March 10, 2012 10:34:34 PM

well some people are saying wait some are saying no point waiting.

I know I have to buy 1155 that's the standard for all intel cores correct?
Score
0
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 10:38:29 PM

zyzz said:
Sounds like ivybridge isn't worth it so I shouldn't wait.


exactly!

well, the lower power consumption is nice with a 5%-15% performance increase, depending on the application.

however most Z68, P67, H67/1 gen3 motherboards will support ivy bridge cpus with pci 3.0; check with the manufacturer to be sure. what you will miss out by not getting a Z77 series is a third pci-e 2.0 slot and possibly two sata 6gbs and usb3 ports.

you can get a sandy bridge now and if ivy is all that, just drop it in.
Score
0
March 10, 2012 10:50:06 PM

Anonymous said:
exactly!

well, the lower power consumption is nice with a 5%-15% performance increase, depending on the application.

however most Z68, P67, H67/1 gen3 motherboards will support ivy bridge cpus with pci 3.0; check with the manufacturer to be sure. what you will miss out by not getting a Z77 series is a third pci-e 2.0 slot and possibly two sata 6gbs and usb3 ports.

you can get a sandy bridge now and if ivy is all that, just drop it in.

don't all motherboards have a ton of slots now? Don't all also have like 4 usb 3.0 ports?

My motherboard has 1x pci express 16x, 1 other pci express which is blocked by the video card, and 1 empty pci. that's it.

I have no usb 3.0
Score
0
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 11:08:31 PM

zyzz said:
don't all motherboards have a ton of slots now? Don't all also have like 4 usb 3.0 ports?

My motherboard has 1x pci express 16x, 1 other pci express which is blocked by the video card, and 1 empty pci. that's it.

I have no usb 3.0


an ATX board will have more slots than a mATX board.
it seems, depending on the model, that *most* gen3 boards have two usb3 ports in the back, two sata 6Gbs and two pci-e x16 2.0 slots (either 16/4 mode or 8/8 mode) dropping an ivy cpu in upgrades the pci-e slots to 3.0

the Z77 will have three pci-e x16 slots with two running pci-e 3.0 (8/8) and the third running @ 2.0(x16)
Score
0
March 11, 2012 1:17:29 AM

The point I was trying to make was that there is hardware out now that can "max out" games on his current monitor @ 1680x1050, and easily he could fit under the $1000 budget!

There is, however, a strong possibility that Ivy Bridge and the new Nvidia cards could save him a tier of upgrading in the future. At the very least, wait until there is some data on the two before making a purchase. If it's a gaming system and you've made it this long with your current system, a few more months won't hurt and odds are you'll save some money or be able to nab some better tech!!!!

It's your money and decision to make.... I love my 2500k and it does, indeed, run everything I need it to with blazing speed, but if I were building a system now, I would wait.
Score
0
March 11, 2012 3:33:43 AM

So in about a month Ivybridge will be out and new motherboard? Also a new graphics card will be coming out? All these will be in my price range?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 4:24:41 AM

Yes, they will be in your price range. Ivy Bridge will be the same price as Sandy Bridge, but with 5-15% better performance. Same price, only a month and a half away, lower power use, better overclockability (typically with die shrinks), and slightly faster than the old. Seriously, if it was me I would wait.

That said, if you don't wait its not like your rig will be obsolete immediately and should last you for several years. But I would still wait if it was me.
Score
0
March 11, 2012 4:54:09 AM

I am going to wait. Just want to make sure it's worth the wait :) 

I just hope there is no Ivybridge recall like Sandybridge. Hope they get it right the first time.

so the radeon 7870 is going to be a cheaper card but better than anything on the market right now?
Score
0
a c 127 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 5:05:12 AM

There was no SB recall, just the chipset.

As for your question, a 2500K with a 6850 will max out Skyrim and CS:GO, I play TF2 and Skyrim on a 2500K with a HD5870 maxed out.

IB will be nice but you don't have to wait for it.
Score
0
a c 186 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 6:47:58 AM

Ivy was delayed. ^^whats your steam? :D 
Score
0
a c 127 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 6:51:35 AM

[BAY] Jimmy da Smitty, pretty much same as here.
Score
0
March 11, 2012 6:57:15 PM

ok I am going to wait and then come back here when it's all released for your guys opinion :) 
Score
0
June 4, 2012 4:37:52 PM

ivy then crashed and burned on the sun..
Score
0
June 5, 2012 2:13:09 AM

wtf you bumped my old topic lol.

I already made a new topic abot this.

It seems like the opinion is very divided...

- Ivy has MUCH better onboard graphics - that helps even with a GPU.
- Sandy can overclock higher and remain much cooler.
- Ivy can't clock as high without temp's going crazy, but is nearly equal to a higher clocked Sandy?
- Ivy has USB 3.0? I don't get this. USB 3.0 is motherboard, what does Ivy/Sandy have to do with it?

that's all.
Score
0
June 6, 2012 12:31:23 AM

they should recall
Score
0

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 12:34:24 AM

kikiking said:
they should recall


Why? At stock speeds, Ivy CPU's are just fine (great, even). That doesn't make a particularly good case for a recall.
Share
June 7, 2012 2:40:41 AM

ok you win, nothing wrong with ivy >.>. I did not like the temps but that is just me.
Score
0
June 7, 2012 9:40:26 PM

I don't understand the whole clock for clock thing.

a default ivy bridge is faster than a default sandy bridge.

an overclocked ivybridge with average temps is nearly as fasted as a max clocked sandy bridge? how?
Score
0
June 10, 2012 7:11:52 PM

I never really looked into that, I never got to overclocking my i5-2500k.
Score
0
June 10, 2012 7:21:34 PM

gross i wouldn't wanna get a ivy bridge for gaming. stick with sandy because for one the ivy bridge cpus have higher temps with a marginal performance increase, sandy bridge is the way to go for gamers right now.
Score
0
June 19, 2012 11:59:30 PM

This is going to a heated discussion for a long time to come...
Score
0
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 2:18:00 AM

I think it is not so much that IB is hot, but rather that the current heatspreader/TIM can't dissipate as much heat. Up to a certain point, both processors heatspreaders do fine... but then as wattage increases the IB CPU can no longer get rid of the heat fast enough and the heat begins to back up.

That's my impression from the test data anyway. The CPUs all run cool, right up to the point where they don't.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 12:21:02 AM

honestly I think I will wait for Haswell.

There are no good games coming out until late 2012. They might not even end up being good...

Maybe Haswell will fix the heat problem.

My AMD X2 6000+ still has no problems.
Score
0
a c 473 à CPUs
June 30, 2012 4:49:34 AM

Yep... Same here... waiting for Haswell.

Or maybe Broadwell in 2014...
Score
0
June 30, 2012 5:17:58 AM

Hell if you REALLY wanted to upgrade grab yourself an FX 4170 or 6100 (I own it and destroy all games on ultra BF3,Gta4,Skyrim,Crysis,Crysis2,Bfbc2,just cause2,Dirt 3 etc) and grab yourself a 7870 or 7950 and an Asus Mobo AM3+ (Asus has always been reliable for me) and if your psu is good enough dont worry about it.

EchoOne
Score
0
June 30, 2012 7:07:04 AM

I am socket AM2. From what you suggest what will probably be $500+ since I need ram as well as I have DDR2.

I think it would be better just to wait or if I am going to spend over $500 get everything new Intel.
Score
0
a c 186 à CPUs
June 30, 2012 8:16:11 AM

EchoOne said:
Hell if you REALLY wanted to upgrade grab yourself an FX 4170 or 6100 (I own it and destroy all games on ultra BF3,Gta4,Skyrim,Crysis,Crysis2,Bfbc2,just cause2,Dirt 3 etc) and grab yourself a 7870 or 7950 and an Asus Mobo AM3+ (Asus has always been reliable for me) and if your psu is good enough dont worry about it.

EchoOne

Score
0
July 1, 2012 12:44:48 AM

Well man, that pic is funny of course.

Well either you wait for haswell or get sandy bridge, and ivy is not for gaming, but if you want it because it is the successor of sandy be my guest.
Score
0
July 1, 2012 12:47:47 AM

yeah me too waiting on haswell, no need for ivy.
Score
0
July 1, 2012 2:19:22 AM

watch Haswell flop LOL.
Score
0
July 1, 2012 3:34:11 AM

let us hope it does not, and if it flops... will you then upgrade so sandy bridge =x?

If you feel it will flop might as well jump to sandy/ivy now.
Score
0
July 1, 2012 4:48:19 AM

the estimated date is 2013 march-june. same as ivybridge as this year.

it's 2 conflicting stories with the sandy vs ivy debate.

- sandy can overclock higher and stay cooler easily.
- ivy can't overclock as high due to heat - but clock for clock is as fast as overclocked sandy.

then ivy has usb 3.0 (doesn't sandy?), pci 3.0 (not really needed right now), HD 4000.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:18:54 AM

Best answer selected by Proximon.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 6:19:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Proximon
Score
0
!