Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

High cpu temp

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 10, 2012 12:48:01 AM

wanting a solution to lower my cpu temps. core temp reads 25c idle, bios read 47c idle. core temp reads 65-66c while prime 95 is running. what can i do? i reseated twice.

evercool buffalo 100mm cooler.......the only thing i added was a evga gtx 570 ds to my machine. would that raise my temps? do i need a newer cooler for my cpu?

More about : high cpu temp

a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 1:01:03 AM

Those temps are to be expected. They are not at all near the hot end, and the 25C at idle is damn good. You can try adding a case fan over the GPU if you have a side mount to get more air in. You need 1 fan intake per 1 exhaust (remember, your PSU has an exhaust fan so take that in consideration). As it stands, I wouldn;t be too worried.

March 10, 2012 1:05:33 AM

scottiemedic said:
Those temps are to be expected. They are not at all near the hot end, and the 25C at idle is damn good. You can try adding a case fan over the GPU if you have a side mount to get more air in. You need 1 fan intake per 1 exhaust (remember, your PSU has an exhaust fan so take that in consideration). As it stands, I wouldn;t be too worried.


i understand but how come does bios temp seem high for idle? and the 66c on prime95 is higher than the amd recommended heat rating @ 61. i have 2 intake, and two exhaust, no room for another fan. maybe this processor puts off more heat than my other one. this chip is 125w and my old one was 95w. plus i have a 200mm on top blowing in right on top of the chip / cooler....i dont wanna play bf3 and ruin my rig
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 1:16:51 AM

5C won't kill your CPU, 95-100C would cause major concern, so 66 over 61C is fine. And the 125w will produce more heat naturally than the 95w. If your temps only go to 66C on Prime, BF3 isn't going to stress it anymore (although some heat may come off the video card, but it sounds like you're pretty well ventilated).

As for BIOS, it might be reading a different temp (core vs. sys temp, etc etc.). Either way, don't fret over it.
March 10, 2012 1:43:17 AM

scottiemedic said:
5C won't kill your CPU, 95-100C would cause major concern, so 66 over 61C is fine. And the 125w will produce more heat naturally than the 95w. If your temps only go to 66C on Prime, BF3 isn't going to stress it anymore (although some heat may come off the video card, but it sounds like you're pretty well ventilated).

As for BIOS, it might be reading a different temp (core vs. sys temp, etc etc.). Either way, don't fret over it.


thanks man, if i do get a better higher end cooler, does the mm of fan size matter? like i got a 100mm fan on my cooler....will a aftermarket 80mm be ok too?
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 1:53:25 AM

The bigger the fan, in most cases the more air it moves across the cooler.
a c 184 à CPUs
March 10, 2012 6:20:17 AM

bf2player1978 said:
i understand but how come does bios temp seem high for idle? and the 66c on prime95 is higher than the amd recommended heat rating @ 61. i have 2 intake, and two exhaust, no room for another fan. maybe this processor puts off more heat than my other one. this chip is 125w and my old one was 95w. plus i have a 200mm on top blowing in right on top of the chip / cooler....i dont wanna play bf3 and ruin my rig

Bios temps are always higher because c1e and c3 steppings don't kick in until windows.
!