Should I spring for an IPS, or a second GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemosh511

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hey all, I go into more depth with my computer specs in my sig, but here's the rundown and I'm having trouble deciding.

Currently I'm using 1 24" LED-LCD monitor, and I'm happy with it. THIS ONE, to be precise. I want to get a second monitor. A possible candidate is the 24" Dell, HERE.

I also currently use a 2gb AMD HD 6970. So far, it has been handling everything quite nicely. I am considering getting a second one because I want to max out BF3 and Skyrim.

Obviously, spending ~$550 is more appealing than ~$850. Which would give me a better experience, the IPS or the X-Fired cards? Will either be significant? Should I just stop bitching and buy both, and cry about it later? Thanks

Solution
The HD6970 averages over 40 fps in the BF3 beta maxed out at 1080p. The final release will probably be better optimized and it should easily handle Skyrim so I doubt a second card is really necessary.
If you can afford it a second HD6970 and 2 more of your current monitor for Eyefinity is what I would be aiming for.
The HD6970 averages over 40 fps in the BF3 beta maxed out at 1080p. The final release will probably be better optimized and it should easily handle Skyrim so I doubt a second card is really necessary.
If you can afford it a second HD6970 and 2 more of your current monitor for Eyefinity is what I would be aiming for.

Solution

mikemosh511

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, I have been getting pretty good framerates so far in the beta, but I had a hunch that these graphics were a little toned down. I suppose you are right in that it'll get optimized some more and will run smoother, so maybe those will balance out.

I hadn't even thought of doing 3 monitors. Now I'm just more torn. Maybe someone who games on an IPS can tell me/us if it really makes a difference? I know it does for photo/video editing, but I just want to game!

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
im playing with an ips, and whilst its beautiful for video watching, it doesn't make much difference for gaming over a tn panel, id say get 2 more panels and if you can afford it get another 6970 if not dont worry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.