6870/6950. Is 2gb needed?

I have been doing research for a future build and i haven't been able to find the answer.

If i'll be using this build for gaming easily 4-5 years, it i got a 1gb model graphics card, would it be a hindrance in the future?

Gaming at 1920x1080

I am aware that ill be lowing settings to keep up with the games, but i am concerned that they will become hardly playable if my memory isn't sufficient.
5 answers Last reply
More about 6870 6950 needed
  1. For your resolution 1GB is fine currently, in 4-5 years probably different story. The main reason most gamers upgrade GPU's more frequently.
  2. You should never expect a video card to last that long.
    5 years ago the 8800 GTX launched for $600. Two and a half years later a card with basically the same performance, the HD4770, launched and it was a $100 card. Whatever you buy right now you'll be able to get something significantly faster for much less within 2-3 years.
  3. so a better question may be: should i take a 6950 now or save some money, take a 6850 and upgrade again sooner?
  4. If you'd be happy with HD6850 performance then go for that and upgrade in roughly 6 months when AMD's new cards come out?

Depends what you'd be happy with.
  5. I personally just bought a HD6850 for a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and it is fine, for your resolution I would look at HD6870 or GTX560 minimum.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Build Graphics