frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm moving and losing access to Lynksys firewall router.
My computer is able to boot to either W2K or XP. XP has
built-in firewall, while W2K does not. I have to install a
software firewall to W2K (I assume?). I have a version of
Norton's Personal Firewall I never installed. If I install
that to W2K, do I have a problem (any conflict), or do
firewalls only function when a given system is booted, the
same as different sypware programs? Please help, as the
Symantec handbook says nothing and it's impossible to get
them to respond without a $30 or $40 charge.

Frank wrote:
> I'm moving and losing access to Lynksys firewall router.
> My computer is able to boot to either W2K or XP. XP has
> built-in firewall, while W2K does not. I have to install a
> software firewall to W2K (I assume?). I have a version of
> Norton's Personal Firewall I never installed. If I install
> that to W2K, do I have a problem (any conflict), or do
> firewalls only function when a given system is booted, the
> same as different sypware programs? Please help, as the
> Symantec handbook says nothing and it's impossible to get
> them to respond without a $30 or $40 charge.

Yes, you will need a firewall on each operating system. A software firewall
is like any other software program, it only runs when the OS it is installed
on is initialized. I would also recommend a firewall like the free version
of Zone Alarm or Sygate.

--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

"Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I'm moving and losing access to Lynksys firewall router.
| My computer is able to boot to either W2K or XP. XP has
| built-in firewall, while W2K does not. I have to install a
| software firewall to W2K (I assume?). I have a version of
| Norton's Personal Firewall I never installed. If I install
| that to W2K, do I have a problem (any conflict), or do
| firewalls only function when a given system is booted, the
| same as different sypware programs? Please help, as the
| Symantec handbook says nothing and it's impossible to get
| them to respond without a $30 or $40 charge.

If I understand your question correctly, each operating system in a
dual/multi boot configuration will need it's own firewall installed.

In other words when booting to W2K Windows XP's firewall will not be loaded
and vice versa.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Forget Norton's and go for one of the 'free' firewalls. two I can recommend
are: ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com) and Sygate (www.sygate.com) I have used
both and both have performed extremely well.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm moving and losing access to Lynksys firewall router.
> My computer is able to boot to either W2K or XP. XP has
> built-in firewall, while W2K does not. I have to install a
> software firewall to W2K (I assume?). I have a version of
> Norton's Personal Firewall I never installed. If I install
> that to W2K, do I have a problem (any conflict), or do
> firewalls only function when a given system is booted, the
> same as different sypware programs? Please help, as the
> Symantec handbook says nothing and it's impossible to get
> them to respond without a $30 or $40 charge.

Well, thanks for the advice, but my question stands,
regardless of which firewall I use. I realize it's a bit
of a dumb question, but if XP's or whatever firewall I
use "covers" the whole computer (all partitions), do I
need to install anything at all? To be more clear: After
all, I access the internet via the same service regardless
of the OS I'm using. Right?