Fixing a 20gig ps3 and upgrading pc

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I have a rare CECHb01 PS3 (backwards compactible model) I need to replace the drive, should i repair it my self or send it to sony.

Also this holiday i'm upgrading m system with AMD Phenom 2 X 3.4 (OC it) will a 550watt PSU have in my system be good? I have a ati 5770 XFX and want to pay BF3 and MW3? I have 4gb DDR2 RAM. Will I get 60FPS on the games on at least high settings?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
The PS3 - I'm pretty sure the Hard Drive is easily accessible via a door on the side(top or bottom depending on how you have it oriented). You should be able to find a youTube video showing you how to do it.

The PC - 550W should be fine(as long as it's not a cheapy). I have a 600w. I also have a MSI HD 5770.... your PC will not get 60FPS in High... at least not BF3. It also depends on your video settings, like AA, VSync, Resolution... 4GB of DDR2 is a little lower than I would like... but it shouldn't hold you back much.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First the PS3 question...installing a HDD is very simple and you can save a lot of money if you just do yourself. I installed a 250GB in mine. Took less than 5 minutes and there are lots of sites to walk you through the process. Like this one:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive-6176090/

Second, your PSU question for use with a HD5770 is good enough if you buy a quality PSU (such as Seasonic, Corsair, etc). Getting 60fps with a HD5770 and high settings is probably not possible, however.

Good luck!

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
No Guys, I need to replace the BLURAY drive.... In the PS3. I have a PowerUp! 550watt PSU. WHat do you think my frames would be? I had a 20gb, but now I have a 120gb in it. If I was to later sell it how much could I get for a orginal 20gig ps3? Are they rare if it didn't have YLOD? The system is fully function, but the drive bluray drive is broken. I found out the laser has a broken Dioide (the lens) it doesn't light up, it also doesn;t spin a disc. Will getting a new drive and using the same controll board fix this or not? Sincerely, Addison Tancredi

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
But one thing, I am a NERVOUS wreck around Lasers. My hearts beats very fast. I guess it's the raditation or the fact it turns on I think it might burn me. Laser is the one mechincal machine I can't work around.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No power on means no laser energy. Disconnecting all power sources will solve that for you.

Since you have clarified your problem as the optical drive, unless you are very comfortable with eletronics assembly/disassembly, I would recommend you send in for repairs.

Good luck!

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hey, I'm not idiot. I know EVERYTHING is plugged in. Not light still. Sony charges 150$ for a repair and another 50$ to just send it! I can repair it for 100$ without buying a new PS2. I trust a link someone has provided me. I read 99.9% of the problems are lasers no the control board. I've also read they last 1,000 or 41 days of straight playing. It has lasted me 4 FRICKEN YEARS! But I heard replacing it could takeway the backwards compaiablity? Is this true? http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-GB-PS3-BLURAY-DRIVE-KEM-400AAA-KES-400A-CECHA01-/380274761981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588a2460fd this is the link to fix it. Will I still be able to play ps2 games if I replace my drive or no?

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007

First, the part you are looking at is the ENTIRE bluray drive. If you replace this you don't have to go near a laser. Just swap your bluray drive for this one. Your Backwards compatibility comes from chips on the motherboard, it is not affected by the drive and replacing the drive will keep your B.C.

You can just replace the laser. It is much cheaper like $30. That is what I did, but you will have to handle LASERS!!!111!!!

*EDIT*

Swapping the BLU Ray Drive is reasonably easy. Make sure you can open your PS3 before you order the part as you need a special High Security Torx bit to get it open. Replacing the Blu ray laser is harder, but not too bad if you are an experienced do it yourselfer.

"99.9% of the problems are lasers no the control board" Do you mean

99.9% of the problems are lasers not the control board -OR-
99.9% of the problems are lasers or the control board ?

If your PS3 boots fine but wont load games it is the laser ie. if the game load icon spins for a while then stops.

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

What I mean is the sensor cable broke, and some of my drive borke. I need a new drive. All I want to do is get back to my Kingdom Hearts, but I can also use it as a PS3 and PS2 99.9% its the laser