Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[SolvedGetting a new motherboard without buyingbuying Windows again

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2013 2:21:07 PM

Hello,
I am going to replace an AM3 motherboard with an AM3+ (970 chipset) mobo in a few months. But I don't want to buy Windows again. I am not going to replace the HDD . Does installing an OS have something to do with the motherboard BIOS? Can I just run with the new mobo without doing anything? Will I need the product key of my current copy of Windows?

The bottom line is: Can I replace the mobo without having to pay for Windows 7/8?
If so, then how?
a c 216 V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 2:26:56 PM

If your copy of windows is retail or upgrade, there is no problem.
If your copy is OEM, it is tied to the original PC(aka motherboard)

But, microsoft may be lenient if you try to reactivate; it is worth a try.

If you must buy a new copy, do not buy OEM, buy a upgrade version which is considered retail and costs no more.

Why do you want to change out the motherboard?
January 14, 2013 2:58:58 PM

I'm building a new PC. I'm getting an AMD FX-6300, an MSI 970A-G46, a GeForce GTX 600, and 8 GB of RAM. I'm reusing the old HDD and trying to use the old OS to cut costs.
Yes, I did not install my current comp's OS and it was installed by the manufacturer so it is an OEM. If I have the product key, though, can I not buy Windows?

Edit: I just found a key for a copy of Windows that's not activated. Will that work during installation?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 216 V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 3:38:23 PM

If you will do a clean install, you will need a windows dvd.
They are all the same, differing only in what the activation code will allow.

I suggest you do the install and try to activete with either key. Odds are, you will be successful.
You may need to talk with MS activation to assure them that you are not running a pirated copy and that the copy of windows is being run on only one pc.

If your purpose is gaming, then using a amd cpu is probably a poor choice. Bulldozer was a big disappointment for gamers.
At every price point, a intel cpu is equal or better for gaming.
Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
January 14, 2013 6:04:19 PM

geofelt said:
If you will do a clean install, you will need a windows dvd.
They are all the same, differing only in what the activation code will allow.

I suggest you do the install and try to activete with either key. Odds are, you will be successful.
You may need to talk with MS activation to assure them that you are not running a pirated copy and that the copy of windows is being run on only one pc.
Ee
If your purpose is gaming, then using a amd cpu is probably a poor choice. Bulldozer was a big disappointment for gamers.
At every price point, a intel cpu is equal or better for gaming.
Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

1: An FX-6300 is Vishera (Piledriver), not Bulldozer.
2: How does the value of piledriver depend on how much gamers liked bulldozer?
3: Vishera has 15% better perf.-per-core than Bulldozer. I myself don't like Zambezi.
4: A FX-6300 is 25% better at multithreading than a core i3-3220(~$140).
5: I don't have the $ to get a core i5-3570k.
6: With an avg. 20% OC, a FX-6300 will outperform the best core i3 @ gaming by 15%-20%.
7: I don't just look at the specs of a CPU and judge it like that.
8: I've got my answer.
January 14, 2013 6:06:37 PM

Best answer selected by hammereditor.
!