Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on my new build upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2011 4:16:29 PM

I'm new here so I'm sorry if this is the wrong section. I have been running an Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz processor and some DDR2 memory for a couple of years now and wanted to upgrade so I made a wishlist for the holidays.

Here is my build:

Re-using:
GeForce 9800GTX+
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 760GB HDD
Asus Aspire case
I forget the power supply brand but I think it should have enough watts
CD/DVD drive (forget the brand)

New:
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Intel i5 2500k
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

I plan on running at stock frequencies until I upgrade the CPU cooler in the future. Would you recommend this one?
CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Thoughts?

More about : opinions build upgrade

December 5, 2011 4:22:16 PM

Replace that card with a 460 or at LEAST a ati 5770 or 6770 (like no difference between them) Also everything looks nice.
December 5, 2011 4:31:44 PM

what are you going to do with it?
Related resources
December 5, 2011 4:41:28 PM

Sorry the card is staying for a while until I have funds. Same with the stock cooler. I will primarily be gaming as I have a MacBook air for schoolwork, music, and surfing the web. I mainly will play counter strike and diablo 3, but sometimes I'll play skyrim.
December 5, 2011 4:43:02 PM

The card is what will get you minimal frames if you do upgrade
December 5, 2011 4:44:44 PM

Yea I figured it would be the weak link but I wanted to upgrade the MB and processor first since they go hand in hand, and the GPU can easily be swapped.
December 5, 2011 4:46:24 PM

A ati 5770 is like 140$ it's a great card for the price. Its like the best budget card you can get.
December 5, 2011 4:49:30 PM

Okay thanks. I'll make it the next item on my list to get. I'm a student so I don't have a budget during the school year. This summer I should be able to afford a good card.
December 5, 2011 4:53:53 PM

Also I plan on putting my old components on eBay. I can probably scrounge $75-120 for the GeForce card if they are actually the $198 I see from a quick google search. Plus ~$100-175 for my old processor, MB, and RAM, assuming I can find buyers for them. This would leave me with enough to get a graphics card. Would you still suggest the 5770? The 460 can be had for $159.99 after rebate.
December 5, 2011 4:56:54 PM

460 has more bang for the buck. But the 5770 is a older card with better drivers. 460 is newer. Also 5770 has eyefinity that lets you use 3 monitors or more. NVIDIA does'nt have that so it's your choice.
December 5, 2011 4:59:00 PM

I don't plan on using more than 1 monitor but I don't really care as long as it works for me :) 
December 5, 2011 5:00:03 PM

Drivers can mess up your frames. The ati 570 has fixed drivers. The 460 IDK but they realse new drivers like every 3 months I believe.
December 11, 2011 11:02:07 PM

I've now decided I should shell out more and grab a Sapphire 6950 2gb Dirt 3 edition. Is it worth the extra $110 over the 460 or 5770? I have enough for a 460 or 5770, but am trying to sell my old parts (who knows if they will ever sell though) to afford the better card.

[EDIT]: I'm going to wait a month or so and see if the 7000 series comes out and either pick up 2 6950s if they price drop or 1 7950 if the price is right.
December 13, 2011 4:33:51 PM

Just been doing some reading and wondering if I will have problems with the 1.65V ram I posted in my first post with the MB and i5? The ram, MB, and i5 are my christmas gifts from my family and have already been purchased so I would hope they would be compatible. I guess I didn't do enough research on the fact. I've seen some people post about 1.65v with no issues and others say stay away with no proof. Any opinions?
December 13, 2011 5:14:33 PM

Go and check the PSU brand...if it's not a decent PSU, then you're risking your whole system, especially if the PSU is a bit older. It's boring, but if you want a decent build then you need to pay attention to what's providing the power, else you risk damaging everything.
December 13, 2011 5:58:28 PM

Ya I probably need to upgrade the PSU. I currently have a not so good Raidmax Volcano 630w. I also have a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W in another computer I can use. Would either of those be okay or must I buy an Antec or Corsair? If I need to buy new, what is the lowest watts I need for potential crossfire 6950s or greater cards?
December 13, 2011 6:07:59 PM

Coolermaster isn't the best, unfortunately. Stick to brands like Corsair, XFX, Antex, Be Quiet!, Silverstone and Enermax. Can't go too wrong there.

2x6950s would need about 750W. Greater? Well, that depends on the cards! 2x580s would need 1kW minimum, I imagine (not actually 100% sure, but it'll be more than 2x6950s so you get the idea...)

A decent PSU isn't cheap, unfortunately. The danger is that a PSU (note lack of word 'decent') can be! Tom's did a review on generic PSUs a while ago...I've tried to find it, but had no joy. Upshot was...have a fire-extinguisher nearby!
December 13, 2011 6:20:33 PM

It will be fine for dual Crossfire. 7950? Probably, can't see it exceeding the power consumption of current-gen cards by a massive margin...can't be sure until it arrives though.

Nice case, too. I'm actually looking to pick one up for my home server.
December 13, 2011 6:40:09 PM

diellur said:
I use a Silverstone PSU in my HTPC and am fine with it. If you're not after the new case, the that would be a good bet.

So would this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheaper, and they're essentially the same as Corsair.

Well after reading multiple reviews of that Popping and dying after only a short while, I think I'll steer clear. Do you recommend I go with the Silverstone? I like that it's modular - plus it's 80 Plus GOLD which supposedly is more efficient (hoping this means more quality capacitors/parts) - so should last a good while.
December 13, 2011 6:43:51 PM

I can recommend it, in that I know they're a quality manufacturer and one of my preferred brands. But you have to be happy with the choice yourself.
December 13, 2011 6:50:17 PM

I think I will get the Silverstone since it's modular and more efficient than the Corsair. In order to get a modular Gold version of the Corsair, I'd be looking at $189.99, so at $159.99 the Silverstone is $30 less.

Anyone have experience with NewEggs ServiceNet plan? I don't think it's worth it if I still have to ship the broken item first before receiving a replacement (added down-time - it says 5 days, but is that after they receive the broken item?)
http://promotions.newegg.com/service_net/11-0615/index....
December 13, 2011 6:52:04 PM

Job done...the important thing is that you have a decent PSU backing your whole system up. :) 
December 13, 2011 6:58:26 PM

addison said:
The card is what will get you minimal frames if you do upgrade

I think perhaps that CS and D3 might be fine, but Skyrim will definitely be a bit choppy :(  If you're considering xFire, keep in mind that Skyrim does not support this ATM!
December 13, 2011 7:00:34 PM

I really wish they wouldn't sell junk at frys/newegg/ANYWHERE for that matter lol. I would never have bought these crappy PSUs or cases had I known a difference.. ahh so naive 4-7 years ago :) 
December 13, 2011 7:01:51 PM

sapphireman said:
I think perhaps that CS and D3 might be fine, but Skyrim will definitely be a bit choppy :(  If you're considering xFire, keep in mind that Skyrim does not support this ATM!

To be honest, I'm not a big Skyrim fan (it's good, but doesn't grab my attention for more than an hour at a time) and am only playing as a filler until D3 comes out.. I just bought BF3, so I will probably not play Skyrim much since I'm more of an FPS person besides Diablo (it's amazing and can't stay away :love:  )
December 13, 2011 7:10:21 PM

elayman said:
To be honest, I'm not a big Skyrim fan (it's good, but doesn't grab my attention for more than an hour at a time) and am only playing as a filler until D3 comes out.. I just bought BF3, so I will probably not play Skyrim much since I'm more of an FPS person besides Diablo (it's amazing and can't stay away :love:  )

Neither am I. I dig it because of the ENORMOUS world and how pretty it can be, but the game-play is lacking. BF3 will suffer more regarding frame-rate, btw.

This is definitely not the place for this, but have you had the chance to run through the D3 beta? It's amazing!!! I have a nerd-boner.
December 13, 2011 7:16:19 PM

sapphireman said:
Neither am I. I dig it because of the ENORMOUS world and how pretty it can be, but the game-play is lacking. BF3 will suffer more regarding frame-rate, btw.

This is definitely not the place for this, but have you had the chance to run through the D3 beta? It's amazing!!! I have a nerd-boner.

Haha yea I know I get ~30fps avg on low settings currently running a core2duo, 4gb ram, and the 9800gtx+. No I haven't been selected to play :(  I have been opted in and entered the sweepstakes and post on their facebook wall, but no luck :( . Can I borrow your account :D  just kidding.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2011 7:54:12 PM

I don't like self-contained water cooling. Even the rare good ones, ones that cool as effectively as comparably priced air coolers, carry with them the serious drawback that THEY HAVE WATER IN THEM! Water gets out. It always does. Ask any plumber. The only good reeason I can think of to expose your electronics to that risk is if you don't have room for an adequate air job. Frostytech has tons of well-organized information about coolers.
December 14, 2011 12:29:41 PM

Petrofsky said:
I don't like self-contained water cooling. Even the rare good ones, ones that cool as effectively as comparably priced air coolers, carry with them the serious drawback that THEY HAVE WATER IN THEM! Water gets out. It always does. Ask any plumber. The only good reeason I can think of to expose your electronics to that risk is if you don't have room for an adequate air job. Frostytech has tons of well-organized information about coolers.

I agree that there's a risk of water leaking, and that it happens every once in a while, but I don't think the risk is as high as you're suggesting. Water only gets out if seals are not fit for purpose, and plumbing isn't the same thing as a closed water loop. If they were leaking on an even remotely regular basis, there'd be no market for them and the net would be awash with reports left, right and centre about how bad they are. As it happens, there are a few, but that will amount to a very small number of people against the number sold.

Having water in your system is a risk, of course. Just not a hugely significant one, given the integrity of the units and the warranty.

To the OP - nice PSU. Enjoy. :) 
December 20, 2011 4:13:28 AM

Got all my parts except the video card and I don't have enough motherboard stand-offs :( 

I must have misplaced one from my case and can't find any backups. I guess I'll have to run to a store tomorrow and get it together. :(  what a bummer

*Also - will there be issues running this G.Skills ram since it's 1.65V and the motherboard says it supports 1.5V up to 2133? This ram is 2133, but 1.65V. I hear it's just like overclocking, but wanted to make sure. Should I let the motherboard set up the ram automatically to 1.5V and slow the speed, or should I manually set the timings and voltage before I boot for the first time?

Thanks!
December 30, 2011 1:39:21 PM

Just got back from vacation and ordered a CM GeminII S524 CPU cooler since it's not as tall as the 212 EVO (wasn't sure it'd fit in my case), as well as got a brand new EVGA GTX580 Superclocked for $400 shipped to my door from ebay (both of them coming today). I'll post up when it's done, hopefully tonight.
December 31, 2011 2:39:20 PM

Can't wait to play! Downloading BF3 now :) 

Yes, I know my cable management isn't the best, but I'm using an old case :( 
!