PSU made loud pop sound and burnt smell

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
My PSU is a CoolerMaster GX750W, it's only 1 1/2 years old. When I first bought it made this sometimes soft sometimes loud electrical buzzing sound, It was definitely coming from the PSU. Now my PSU is dead, tried to turn my com back on but no response. Have you guys experienced this situation before? And if so, was your mobo,cpu,gpu etc fried or was it okay?

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
It may fry your Motherboard / Hard drive / Video Card....

I see sometimes fry up the whole things... depends on what happen inside....

You better find an old power supply see wheather it can boot up the MB + CPU+ RAM First.... and exam teh circuit board of the HD make sure is in GOOD condition...

Ironwilly

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
The buzzing could have been something as simple as the fan being out of balance or it might have been something more serious. Either way, its hard to tell based on your description.

The good news, your PSU has a 5 year warranty! The not so great news is you'll have to wait to reinstall the PSU before you'll know if any other components are damaged. However, the PSU you're using has various protection systems in place to prevent damage to other components in such an event. So, there is reason to be positive here!

Good luck to you!

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
What power supply you have now... why you say cannot power your i5 2500k...
even a 300W 24 PIn ATX Power supply should able to power it up.... if your Video card need extra power ... you can try to boot without the video card.... if you have one board just use it first.... if you don't ... then it should give beep sound for no video....then at least your board is not totally die.... still will do the Boot up test..

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010

sry, what i meant was my old 390w psu had only a 4pin cpu connector, the 2500k needs a 4+4.

Ironwilly

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
In most cases with PSU's, people do purchase a new unit rather than repair their broken one. Whether it be time related or just due to distrust, I can certainly understand your train of thought.

You have to understand, within any product line there are going to be a certain percentage that fail. Whether this is <1% or 6% depends a lot on the quality of the component.

I have had PSU's die on me before and it is not fun. Like I said, I think there is good reason to believe it hasn't affected the rest of your system. Either way, if you're looking to trade it up, I have been very happy with my Corsair HX850, which is offered in a 750 model I believe. You should still get your CM replaced and just toss it on ebay or craigslist. No sense on taking a complete loss when you have a warranty! :)

Ironwilly

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I've used Corsair for a number of years without having one of their PSU's fail on me. I have no experience with Seasonic, however.

The AX is a terrific line, and I think would work great for you. Both of those PSU's are modular, so I'd say you're leaning toward that option. And why not? Its going to save you a little clutter, make it nice and neat, and it makes installing new components a breeze. To me, there is no reason to go with a non-modular PSU.

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
It will still boot up with just 4 pin Only put the 4 pin in the right hand side and make the other 4 pin empty.... ( I think is only one position you can put in..)

do you try before...?

More read :
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps8

"You can plug a 4 pin 12 volt power cable into an 8 pin EPS motherboard connector but there's no guarantee that it will work. If the motherboard expects only one 12 volt rail then a 4 pin 12 volt cable may work. If the motherboard expects two 12 volt rails (many dual CPU motherboards require one 12 volt rail per CPU) then it won't work."

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010

Ok I'll try it

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010

What happens if the cables became loose? And I've heard that there is corroding and efficiency loss etc

Ironwilly

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

What you're referring to here has more to do with the quality of the components the manufacturer uses than anything else. You're not looking at $39 super-saver PSU's here, you're looking at top of the line components that are designed/tested for both normal and abnormal usage. Efficiency loss, unfortunately, is a part of any electronics. You can slow it down, but you can't stop it. Again, with the quality of the two PSU's you're looking at, the lifespan of the product shouldn't let you down.

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
THANK GOD, I used my old psu to test the mobo and cpu, it powered up and made some beeping sounds. Then I tested my HDD on my other computer, it reached the 'starting windows' and got a BSOD, is my HDD damaged? I've checked the BIOS and it detected the hdd, but I'm not sure whether my data is still intact.

What OS are you using ?
Is your "other computer " the same as the computer that the HD came out of ?

Also, use the RMA option for your blown psu.
CM changed oem's, the entire GX line now has Enhance internals instead of the original Seventeam.
Even if you decide not to use it you can sell it to recover some of the cost of a new psu.

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010

I'm using win 7 ulti sp1 and my other computer is win 7 ulti. I guess it's because of hardware that's why it BSOD, I'm just glad my hdd didn't fry because I could see it in my bios

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010

My mobo was okay,I've tested it, so I guess all of my components are okay. I'm guessing a capacitor blew and power to my com was shut off, just like a lightning trip. I'm gonna claim for warranty and sell it and get corsair or seasonic