Sign in with
Your question

Need help finishing up my htpc build, please

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2011 4:54:41 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: by the end of the year

Budget Range: under 500? Most of the parts have been purchased. budget is really left for cpu/mobo and monitor... but it's flexible, willing to spend more.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies, surfing the internet, light gaming

Parts Not Required: Case (nzxt source elite 210), psu ( antec earthwatts 650), ram (gskill 8gb ddr31600), ssd (samsung 830 64gb), hd (wd green 1gb)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, microcenter

Parts Preferences: i5-2500k, mobo so far is msi z68 gd65

Overclocking: maybe in the future when my cpu may not be as fast anymore

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

The last time I built my computer was about 6-7 years ago. I'd like this one to last the same amount of time. For my needs, it should easily do that. Most of the items are overkill, but I've been buying parts throughout the year when I find them on sale. Picking the cpu b/c of microcenters deal, was planning on i3... but i5 and a great mobo for 300 seems like a great deal. I really would like to play blu-ray and dvds off of this since I just use my xbox for dvds now. I need help picking a 24in monitor (will use on my tv too for bluray), dvd rom/bluray (any will work?) , should I select a cheaper mobo? ( was worried when I did OC in the future ,wanted it to be stable... remember mobo has to be from microcenter to get the deal), and do the rest of my parts match?

More about : finishing htpc build

December 5, 2011 5:18:40 PM

This is WAY overkill for an HTPC. I just built my own HTPC for under $300 using an AMD E-350 based MB, 2GB of RAM, and a SATA 3 500GB hard drive. My system draws less than 100 watts of power streaming a high def movie to my 42" plasma TV.

Also, while I have no plans right now to go with BluRay, my system could handle it.
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:27:30 PM

that reminds me of my first htpc... before I changed it into a gaming system... it was an AMD phenom ii 940, dvd drive, 650w psu, radeon 4870, like 5 hdds totaling 3 TB... now... my htpc is an i5 650, 4 gb ram, intel hd graphics all inside a lunch box...

about 400 bucks...
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2011 5:40:58 PM

Hmm.. I guess I wouldn't mind changing my cpu/mobo combo. But each seems like an AMD cpu and mobo would still turn out to be like 200, 250? I'd rather spend the extra 50-100 on a i5 and z68... and I'm sure that'd extra 50 dollars would make my system last a few years longer?

I could also get a cheaper mobo? like a biostar tz68+? and it would bring my i5 + mobo cost to around 220.
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:46:07 PM

HTPCs don't require that much power... it depends on your preference though... I have no doubts my system in a lunch box will last for years as an HTPC, streaming video being the main purpose does not require all that much... in fact my I5 is overkill... really could do fine with a 1.8 ghz dual core atom processor... what exactly do you think will end up outpacing your system?
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:50:23 PM

well I guess I shouldn't have put htpc in the title. I want to use it mainly for watching movies, but I will play games on it when I get time (have children, work, etc.)
m
l
December 5, 2011 6:11:16 PM

jaguars28fan said:
well I guess I shouldn't have put htpc in the title. I want to use it mainly for watching movies, but I will play games on it when I get time (have children, work, etc.)

give me an idea of the games... are we talking battlefield 3? skyrim? duke nukem 3d? bejeweled?
m
l
!