can router or nic connect to bluetooth?

Last response: in Technologies
July 18, 2005 1:38:11 AM

HI folks. I recently got a bluetooth enabled phone and I want to
connect to my PC to transfer things. Before I go out and buy a new
device I'm wondering if my wireless router or nic are able to
communicate via bluetooth or do I need some special BT device. The
reason I ask is when I loaded my wireless nic a few years ago it
mentioned something about bluetooth . thanks for any help.

Gary
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:38:12 AM

gnui2004@yahoo.ca wrote:
> HI folks. I recently got a bluetooth enabled phone and I want to
> connect to my PC to transfer things. Before I go out and buy a new
> device I'm wondering if my wireless router or nic are able to
> communicate via bluetooth or do I need some special BT device. The
> reason I ask is when I loaded my wireless nic a few years ago it
> mentioned something about bluetooth . thanks for any help.
>
> Gary

Without knowing the precise model of NIC you have, it's hard to say, but
I've not heard of any wireless NICs that support both wi-fi (802.11)
*and* Bluetooth. But saying I've not heard of one doesn't mean that they
don't exist.

The simplest solution is to get a USB Bluetooth dongle & plug it into
your PC. I've used both Belkin & Kensington dongles to good effect & I'm
sure others here have their favorite brand names. They run in the
vicinity of $40 US.

If you want to connect via Bluetooth to your Internet connection, you'll
need to configure your LAN IP addresses at the router level. While it's
written for Palm devices specifically, http://www.whizoo.com/bt_setup/
is instructive.

Good luck!

Joe
--
"Obviously, I'm not an IBM computer any more than I'm an ashtray."
- Bob Dylan