Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I cannot seem to enable active desktop on my windows xp
home edition. I have IE 6.02. Have only come to many
dead ends with the help files. It does not seem to be in
my directory at all. How am I to download the desktop
update to get this application to work? My problem is
that i do not have this "Web tab of the Desktop Items
dialog box"....If I did, things would be so much easier.
Believe me, I've read and read and read....till my
eyeballs come close to launching out of my head, and I
have not been able to fix this problem.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:28:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

chatterboxg wrote:
> I cannot seem to enable active desktop on my windows xp
> home edition. I have IE 6.02. Have only come to many
> dead ends with the help files. It does not seem to be in
> my directory at all. How am I to download the desktop
> update to get this application to work? My problem is
> that i do not have this "Web tab of the Desktop Items
> dialog box"....If I did, things would be so much easier.
> Believe me, I've read and read and read....till my
> eyeballs come close to launching out of my head, and I
> have not been able to fix this problem.

Go to the following website and scroll down to Line 177, left side. Click
the "Restore the web tab-Display properties" link to download the registry
file. Double click the downloaded file and confirm the registry merge.

This will reset the default registry entries for that tab.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 1:06:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi,

There is no UI in Windows XP to enable/disable Active Desktop. It is enabled by default. You can enable/disable Active
Desktop by using the following edits:

Active desktop - enable or disable (line 16, left column)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"chatterboxg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3a3501c48892$45bf1550$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>I cannot seem to enable active desktop on my windows xp
> home edition. I have IE 6.02. Have only come to many
> dead ends with the help files. It does not seem to be in
> my directory at all. How am I to download the desktop
> update to get this application to work? My problem is
> that i do not have this "Web tab of the Desktop Items
> dialog box"....If I did, things would be so much easier.
> Believe me, I've read and read and read....till my
> eyeballs come close to launching out of my head, and I
> have not been able to fix this problem.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 1:06:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks for asking this question, Chatterboxg. This new "feature" in XP has
bugged the hell out of me, too. After using a beautifully implemented Active
Desktop in Win98 for years, I now see Microsoft decided to take a few steps
*backwards* in its WinXP implementation.

Jeesh, Microsoft does some really stupid stuff. ("Hey! Let's give the user a
better OS by *removing* some really neat features that they like!"
--Microsoft underDevelopment Team) Even Forest Gump would know this is a case
of, "Stupid is as stupid does." Thanks for nothing [again], Microsoft.

God, I wish I could go back to Win98. I have regretted buying an WinXP OS
computer since the day I brought it home. But, WinXP has convinced me of one
thing--never to buy a computer with a MS OS again. Hello, Unix! Goodbye,
Microsoft.


"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> Hi,
> There is no UI in Windows XP to enable/disable Active Desktop. It is enabled by default. You can enable/disable Active
> Desktop by using the following edits:
> Active desktop - enable or disable (line 16, left column)
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 4:01:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I thought they removed those features because most people considered them an
annoying flop. Remember channels, when Windows 98 came with advertisments
plastered all over the desktop. That didn't last very long either. :-)

"ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:97C304A1-1C79-4F12-8020-25C23F379833@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for asking this question, Chatterboxg. This new "feature" in XP has
> bugged the hell out of me, too. After using a beautifully implemented
> Active
> Desktop in Win98 for years, I now see Microsoft decided to take a few
> steps
> *backwards* in its WinXP implementation.
>
> Jeesh, Microsoft does some really stupid stuff. ("Hey! Let's give the user
> a
> better OS by *removing* some really neat features that they like!"
> --Microsoft underDevelopment Team) Even Forest Gump would know this is a
> case
> of, "Stupid is as stupid does." Thanks for nothing [again], Microsoft.
>
> God, I wish I could go back to Win98. I have regretted buying an WinXP OS
> computer since the day I brought it home. But, WinXP has convinced me of
> one
> thing--never to buy a computer with a MS OS again. Hello, Unix! Goodbye,
> Microsoft.
>
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>> Hi,
>> There is no UI in Windows XP to enable/disable Active Desktop. It is
>> enabled by default. You can enable/disable Active
>> Desktop by using the following edits:
>> Active desktop - enable or disable (line 16, left column)
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:58:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
news:eHzyNXMiEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I thought they removed those features because most people considered them
>an annoying flop. Remember channels, when Windows 98 came with
>advertisments plastered all over the desktop. That didn't last very long
>either. :-)

There's more to ActiveDesktop than channels, you know...
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:11:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes, I was just using channels as an example of a part that they dropped
because it was either unpopular or it was no longer needed. I'm guessing
that is the case with the features they removed from XP.

"Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:%23u5o8hQiEHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message
> news:eHzyNXMiEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>I thought they removed those features because most people considered them
>>an annoying flop. Remember channels, when Windows 98 came with
>>advertisments plastered all over the desktop. That didn't last very long
>>either. :-)
>
> There's more to ActiveDesktop than channels, you know...
>
>
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:41:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Active desktop turns on if you select something that needs it and turns off if not needed. There are policy settings to force it on or off.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Thane of Lochaber" <NONE> wrote in message news:eHzyNXMiEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I thought they removed those features because most people considered them an
> annoying flop. Remember channels, when Windows 98 came with advertisments
> plastered all over the desktop. That didn't last very long either. :-)
>
> "ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:97C304A1-1C79-4F12-8020-25C23F379833@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for asking this question, Chatterboxg. This new "feature" in XP has
> > bugged the hell out of me, too. After using a beautifully implemented
> > Active
> > Desktop in Win98 for years, I now see Microsoft decided to take a few
> > steps
> > *backwards* in its WinXP implementation.
> >
> > Jeesh, Microsoft does some really stupid stuff. ("Hey! Let's give the user
> > a
> > better OS by *removing* some really neat features that they like!"
> > --Microsoft underDevelopment Team) Even Forest Gump would know this is a
> > case
> > of, "Stupid is as stupid does." Thanks for nothing [again], Microsoft.
> >
> > God, I wish I could go back to Win98. I have regretted buying an WinXP OS
> > computer since the day I brought it home. But, WinXP has convinced me of
> > one
> > thing--never to buy a computer with a MS OS again. Hello, Unix! Goodbye,
> > Microsoft.
> >
> >
> > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> There is no UI in Windows XP to enable/disable Active Desktop. It is
> >> enabled by default. You can enable/disable Active
> >> Desktop by using the following edits:
> >> Active desktop - enable or disable (line 16, left column)
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
>
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 8:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

As David states, the Active desktop is enabled/disabled on demand. Though you can force a disable through Group
Policies.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"ZenWarrior" <ZenWarrior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:97C304A1-1C79-4F12-8020-25C23F379833@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for asking this question, Chatterboxg. This new "feature" in XP has
> bugged the hell out of me, too. After using a beautifully implemented Active
> Desktop in Win98 for years, I now see Microsoft decided to take a few steps
> *backwards* in its WinXP implementation.
>
> Jeesh, Microsoft does some really stupid stuff. ("Hey! Let's give the user a
> better OS by *removing* some really neat features that they like!"
> --Microsoft underDevelopment Team) Even Forest Gump would know this is a case
> of, "Stupid is as stupid does." Thanks for nothing [again], Microsoft.
>
> God, I wish I could go back to Win98. I have regretted buying an WinXP OS
> computer since the day I brought it home. But, WinXP has convinced me of one
> thing--never to buy a computer with a MS OS again. Hello, Unix! Goodbye,
> Microsoft.
>
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>> Hi,
>> There is no UI in Windows XP to enable/disable Active Desktop. It is enabled by default. You can enable/disable
>> Active
>> Desktop by using the following edits:
>> Active desktop - enable or disable (line 16, left column)
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
!