Low FPS with my 580 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zxela

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
So I recently put together a PC rig. Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX)
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI MOBO
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Galaxy 58NLH5HS3PXZ GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB

After installing everything, I could not update the drivers for the graphics card. NVidia has been having problems updating the drivers for the 580's on Window's 7 64 bit I guess. The driver for 280.26 just can't install so I guess I can't update it until the problem is fixed.

Just wondering, is there a reason I only get 15 FPS on highest settings for TF2? I can barely even run Dungeon Siege 3. Any suggestions why I have such poor performance despite a good build? 3.3 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 1.5 gig 580 GT, and 1 TB memory on Windows 7 64 bit. I'm thinking its the lack of video cards driver updates. Do they make a large difference?

Solution

1) plug your monitor into the motherboard output which will be the default device for bios messages.
2) In the bios, select the pci-e x16 device as the bios output display device.
3) Shut down and plug your monitor into the GTX580.
4) reboot.
5) Your display will be in basic mode which does not need a driver.
6) Go to the nvidia web site and download and install the...
You need some sort of a driver for the GTX580, otherwise it will operate at low fps in basic mode.

For what it is worth, I have had no issues installing 280.26 on windows 7 64 bit.
I use a EVGA GTX580; perhaps it is a problem with the firmware on your galaxy unit?

Or, see if there is a beta driver release that works, or even try an earlier driver.

Zxela

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

My monitor is plugged into the VGA in bakcplate of the MOBO.

I also think its because my Device Manager doesn't even recognize the fact that I have a 580. It just says the graphics drivers are Intel Family.... I plugged in the HDMI cable into the graphics card and back into the monitor. What now? :x

(Thanks for all the help, guys. I really appreciate it. <3)

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
you need to go into the bios and select the default graphics output to pcie not integrated, try installing drivers then, your monitor MUST be plugged into the graphics card not the mobo, as otherwise this will use the integrated graphics not your 580

1) plug your monitor into the motherboard output which will be the default device for bios messages.
2) In the bios, select the pci-e x16 device as the bios output display device.
3) Shut down and plug your monitor into the GTX580.
4) reboot.
5) Your display will be in basic mode which does not need a driver.
6) Go to the nvidia web site and download and install the latest driver.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.