Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Thank you all in advance

I recently built a rig using following components

core i3 2100
GTX 460 v2
Asus P8H61-M LX

all of the components were new, but I recycled my old corsair 450w psu from a previous build into the new build. The power supply is about 4-5 years old. Recently the psu has started making a really weird noise under heavy load. Sort of like the noise you hear from an old industrial lamp or high voltage cables, it's kinda like a buzz. The sound is loudest when playing mafia II.

So my question is ....

Is my psu dying ?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Try removing the PSU and checking how much dust is in it. Too much dust will usually cause noise.
Generally check the inside of your case for dust, clean it out the best you can and see how it sounds from there. Dusting your pc inside should be done like once a year at least.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hey plasmid,

I had the exact same problem with my psu. You said it makes a noise while playing mafia 2? Well this is cause during gameplay, the components in your pc is demanding alot of power, e.g. gpu, cpu etc. So the capictors start vibrating if its pushed too hard. Theres either 2 reasons why you are hearing this noise, one is yes your psu might be dieing, but a more logical one would be you have insufficient power supply to power all the components in your desktop during a high demanding task. You might need to go for a 500 to 750 watt... although 750 watt would be overkill.