Newbie in building pc

sraf192

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
i want to build a new gaming rig but i don't know how to connect all the cables and where it goes..such as the psu,gpu,dvd writer,sata hard drive,power on/off at casing and usb at front panel in casing..please help me cause i want to save my budget..2ndly,after complete all the cable management,i dont know how to start to install bios and windows 7 in new pc build..

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The mobo & case manuals should give you details on what cables should be connected to which plugs. For example, the SATA cables can only be plugged in one way, and the SATA ports are identified in the manual(s) if not directly on the mobo.

The cables for the audio, power, and leds are a little more difficult (they are smaller), but the mobo manual shows you how to plug in the cables.

The PSU cables may not have a manual, but the wiring is simple. You have a 20/24 pin power imput on the mobo. This plug is idiot-proofed to the point that, unless you FORCE the plug in the wrong orientation, it will not plug into the mobo. The other plugs all have some form of angular end plug which guides you in orientation. Molex connectors can only be oriented one way. The SATA power cables similarly can only be plugged in one orientation.

The RAM chips only seat one way without a hammer.

The problems that you may face are orienting the peripheral plugs (sound, USB, power, led) but, if you get them wrong they will not short out the mobo. You will have to test them and replug them if they are wrong.

You will not have to install the BIOS. It comes preinstalled. You may have to update it later, but that is another matter.

Installing Windows 7 comes after you power up your rig properly. You will need to set your BIOS to boot off the CD/DVD and have the Win 7 disk tray when you start to install. After that you let the software install/run and put in the product key.

That's basically it.

bwf1975

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Dont worry, i felt same when building my 1st pc, but when you done it once you think bloody hell is that it.
like above poster stated 20/24 pin mobo connector only goes in one way, 4 pin cpu plug only fits one way, dvd and hdd simple sata cables.
fiddly bit is little plugs on mobo ie hdd light, power switch etc.
but the plugs usually marked what they are, and mobo manual will have detailed diagram of what plugs do what.
i used haynes idiot guide when building to help me, and to have some reference points, got mine from local library.