System slowed down

I am finding my system becoming slower and slower even though I am on
Broadband. I have the following programs on start-up: Symantec
anti-virus, Sygate Personal Firewall and MSN Messenger.

Can someone tell me how to check that I don't have anything else
installed in my start-up menu that is slowing things down. I use
Mozilla Thunderbird email - and as this has some form of adaptive
junk-mail feature, it may be this that is making things slower? I
also use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, but I have Internet Explorer
installed elsewhere and can use this if I wish.

I would be glad of some assistance. I am reasonably
computer-literate - for a middle-aged lady - and can follow
instructions provided they are not TOO complicated!

Thank you out there.

Cheers

Daisy
17 answers Last reply
More about system slowed down

    Daisy,

    Right click the Start button and choose Explore. You can see what is going
    on there. Run a virus scan and also check for spyware, worms and the other
    usual infections. These can slow your system down to a crawl. If you are
    complaining about slow acting email or browser software then, yes, third
    party applications or utilities can also cause system slowdowns. You may
    want to check at www.blackviper.com for what services your machine actually
    needs to run. Look for the Windows Services page there. You will be amazed
    at how much stuff is eating up your system resources.

    Daisy wrote:
    > I am finding my system becoming slower and slower even though I am on
    > Broadband. I have the following programs on start-up: Symantec
    > anti-virus, Sygate Personal Firewall and MSN Messenger.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to check that I don't have anything else
    > installed in my start-up menu that is slowing things down. I use
    > Mozilla Thunderbird email - and as this has some form of adaptive
    > junk-mail feature, it may be this that is making things slower? I
    > also use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, but I have Internet Explorer
    > installed elsewhere and can use this if I wish.
    >
    > I would be glad of some assistance. I am reasonably
    > computer-literate - for a middle-aged lady - and can follow
    > instructions provided they are not TOO complicated!
    >
    > Thank you out there.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Daisy

    The first thing to do is run a complete virus scan and make sure that the
    virus definitions for NAV are up to date.

    Next, get the free version of AdAware and run a complete scan for spyware
    apps. Again, make sure that the reference file is up to date.

    AdAware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Go to Start/Run and type msconfig and click OK. Click the Start Up tab
    to see a list of programs that are started when the computer is first turned
    on.

    Post back to this thread if you have any questions about what you find.

    --
    Regards,

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:20:45 -0700, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
    <ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Daisy wrote:
    >> I am finding my system becoming slower and slower even though I am on
    >> Broadband. I have the following programs on start-up: Symantec
    >> anti-virus, Sygate Personal Firewall and MSN Messenger.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to check that I don't have anything else
    >> installed in my start-up menu that is slowing things down. I use
    >> Mozilla Thunderbird email - and as this has some form of adaptive
    >> junk-mail feature, it may be this that is making things slower? I
    >> also use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, but I have Internet Explorer
    >> installed elsewhere and can use this if I wish.
    >>
    >> I would be glad of some assistance. I am reasonably
    >> computer-literate - for a middle-aged lady - and can follow
    >> instructions provided they are not TOO complicated!
    >>
    >> Thank you out there.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Daisy
    >
    >The first thing to do is run a complete virus scan and make sure that the
    >virus definitions for NAV are up to date.
    >
    >Next, get the free version of AdAware and run a complete scan for spyware
    >apps. Again, make sure that the reference file is up to date.
    >
    >AdAware
    >http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    >
    >Go to Start/Run and type msconfig and click OK. Click the Start Up tab
    >to see a list of programs that are started when the computer is first turned
    >on.
    >
    >Post back to this thread if you have any questions about what you find.

    Hello again

    This is in reply to both responses first from Kevin: I defragged my
    machine 2 days ago. I did a Live Update from Symantec and then ran a
    virus scan today and then I downloaded Ad-aware and ran that scan
    also. Symantic showed no viruses, but the Adaware showed a number of
    attempted hackings (is that a word?) and some other cookies that allow
    popups.

    Is it wise to delete cookies? I am not sure about what to do about
    them.

    I went into the Start-up optiion but most of the programs there don't
    mean a lot to me - they may be necessary Windows ones for all I know.
    But I did see the MSN.Messenger there and Microsoft Office and Adobe
    Gamma Loader. I think I will need the latter because I feel it
    allows the Adobe Acrobat PDF program to boot when I need it - yes?

    But I don't need Microsoft Office on my start-up at all and I would be
    quite happy to have it moved to program files or somewhere and use the
    separate programs within it as I choose. I mainly use Word but
    sometimes Excel.

    I was a bit lost in the blackviper.com page because I actually don't
    know what I can safely disable.

    Would it be a good idea if one of you could please do a remote
    assistance with me if I find the going gets tough?

    My computer is relatively new (less than 6 months old). I have plenty
    of RAM and disk space.

    Thank you again.

    Daisy

    Daisy wrote:
    > Hello again
    >
    > This is in reply to both responses first from Kevin: I defragged my
    > machine 2 days ago. I did a Live Update from Symantec and then ran a
    > virus scan today and then I downloaded Ad-aware and ran that scan
    > also. Symantic showed no viruses, but the Adaware showed a number of
    > attempted hackings (is that a word?) and some other cookies that allow
    > popups.
    >
    > Is it wise to delete cookies? I am not sure about what to do about
    > them.
    >
    > I went into the Start-up optiion but most of the programs there don't
    > mean a lot to me - they may be necessary Windows ones for all I know.
    > But I did see the MSN.Messenger there and Microsoft Office and Adobe
    > Gamma Loader. I think I will need the latter because I feel it
    > allows the Adobe Acrobat PDF program to boot when I need it - yes?
    >
    > But I don't need Microsoft Office on my start-up at all and I would be
    > quite happy to have it moved to program files or somewhere and use the
    > separate programs within it as I choose. I mainly use Word but
    > sometimes Excel.
    >
    > I was a bit lost in the blackviper.com page because I actually don't
    > know what I can safely disable.
    >
    > Would it be a good idea if one of you could please do a remote
    > assistance with me if I find the going gets tough?
    >
    > My computer is relatively new (less than 6 months old). I have plenty
    > of RAM and disk space.
    >
    > Thank you again.
    >

    > Daisy

    Go to start / Run and type msinfo32 and press OK. Click the + sign next
    to the Software Environment item on the left side. Click the Startup
    Programs item.

    Select one of the items from the list on the right side. Now, click Edit /
    Select All from the toolbar and then click Edit / Copy.

    Paste the results back in a reply to this message. We can take a look at the
    start up items and advise you on what to remove.

    PS. It's not a good idea to invite complete strangers, especially on a
    newsgroup, to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance.

    --
    Regards,

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org

    Daisy <DaisyL@emailaccount.com>'s wild thoughts were
    released on Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:22:43 +1200 bearing the
    following fruit:

    >On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:20:45 -0700, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
    ><ronv@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Daisy wrote:
    >>> I am finding my system becoming slower and slower even though I am on
    >>> Broadband. I have the following programs on start-up: Symantec
    >>> anti-virus, Sygate Personal Firewall and MSN Messenger.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me how to check that I don't have anything else
    >>> installed in my start-up menu that is slowing things down. I use
    >>> Mozilla Thunderbird email - and as this has some form of adaptive
    >>> junk-mail feature, it may be this that is making things slower? I
    >>> also use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, but I have Internet Explorer
    >>> installed elsewhere and can use this if I wish.
    >>>
    >>> I would be glad of some assistance. I am reasonably
    >>> computer-literate - for a middle-aged lady - and can follow
    >>> instructions provided they are not TOO complicated!
    >>>
    >>> Thank you out there.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Daisy
    >>
    >>The first thing to do is run a complete virus scan and make sure that the
    >>virus definitions for NAV are up to date.
    >>
    >>Next, get the free version of AdAware and run a complete scan for spyware
    >>apps. Again, make sure that the reference file is up to date.
    >>
    >>AdAware
    >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    >>
    >>Go to Start/Run and type msconfig and click OK. Click the Start Up tab
    >>to see a list of programs that are started when the computer is first turned
    >>on.
    >>
    >>Post back to this thread if you have any questions about what you find.
    >
    >Hello again
    >
    >This is in reply to both responses first from Kevin: I defragged my
    >machine 2 days ago. I did a Live Update from Symantec and then ran a
    >virus scan today and then I downloaded Ad-aware and ran that scan
    >also. Symantic showed no viruses, but the Adaware showed a number of
    >attempted hackings (is that a word?) and some other cookies that allow
    >popups.
    >
    >Is it wise to delete cookies? I am not sure about what to do about
    >them.

    Most of the cookies are junk, some are useful, storing your
    username for certain websites etc. My policy is to delete
    them all each week, in your case I'd remove any that you
    don't recognise.

    >My computer is relatively new (less than 6 months old). I have plenty
    >of RAM and disk space.

    I recommend getting a couple of adware checkers, I've had
    several cases of one program giving me a clean bill of
    health while the other detects something.

    You might consider getting HijackThis if you still have
    problems, there are several places on the web that can
    analyse the log for you and tell you what can be safely
    removed.

    I use firefox and almost all these kinds of problems have
    stopped for me.

    Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

    --
    Women are like elephants to me. I like to look at them
    but I wouldn't want to own one.

    W.C. Fields

    [Abolish the TV License - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]

    I too have a problem like this. I think my main problem is when I log on to
    my computer and all the items in the task bar load even though they are
    already on my desktop and I rarely use them. I went to msconfig and
    un-checked some of the options. After that, every time I logged on, a
    message came up saying that my computer was in a diagnostic mode. Please
    help.

    M&M

    "Jan Hyde" wrote:

    > Daisy <DaisyL@emailaccount.com>'s wild thoughts were
    > released on Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:22:43 +1200 bearing the
    > following fruit:
    >
    > >On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:20:45 -0700, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
    > ><ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

    > >>The first thing to do is run a complete virus scan and make sure that the
    > >>virus definitions for NAV are up to date.
    > >>
    > >>Next, get the free version of AdAware and run a complete scan for spyware
    > >>apps. Again, make sure that the reference file is up to date.
    > >>
    > >>AdAware
    > >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    > >>
    > >>Go to Start/Run and type msconfig and click OK. Click the Start Up tab
    > >>to see a list of programs that are started when the computer is first turned
    > >>on.
    > >>
    > >>Post back to this thread if you have any questions about what you find.
    > >
    > >Hello again
    > >
    > >This is in reply to both responses first from Kevin: I defragged my
    > >machine 2 days ago. I did a Live Update from Symantec and then ran a
    > >virus scan today and then I downloaded Ad-aware and ran that scan
    > >also. Symantic showed no viruses, but the Adaware showed a number of
    > >attempted hackings (is that a word?) and some other cookies that allow
    > >popups.
    > >
    > >Is it wise to delete cookies? I am not sure about what to do about
    > >them.
    >
    > Most of the cookies are junk, some are useful, storing your
    > username for certain websites etc. My policy is to delete
    > them all each week, in your case I'd remove any that you
    > don't recognise.
    >
    > >My computer is relatively new (less than 6 months old). I have plenty
    > >of RAM and disk space.
    >
    > I recommend getting a couple of adware checkers, I've had
    > several cases of one program giving me a clean bill of
    > health while the other detects something.
    >
    > You might consider getting HijackThis if you still have
    > problems, there are several places on the web that can
    > analyse the log for you and tell you what can be safely
    > removed.
    >
    > I use firefox and almost all these kinds of problems have
    > stopped for me.
    >

    > Jan Hyde (VB MVP)
    >
    > --
    > Women are like elephants to me. I like to look at them
    > but I wouldn't want to own one.
    >
    > W.C. Fields
    >
    > [Abolish the TV License - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]

    M&M <M&M@discussions.microsoft.com>'s wild thoughts were
    released on Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:01:01 -0700 bearing the
    following fruit:

    >I too have a problem like this. I think my main problem is when I log on to
    >my computer and all the items in the task bar load even though they are
    >already on my desktop and I rarely use them. I went to msconfig and
    >un-checked some of the options. After that, every time I logged on, a
    >message came up saying that my computer was in a diagnostic mode. Please
    >help.
    >
    >M&M

    On the general tab of msconfig, check it's set to 'Normal
    Startup'

    >"Jan Hyde" wrote:
    >
    >> Daisy <DaisyL@emailaccount.com>'s wild thoughts were
    >> released on Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:22:43 +1200 bearing the
    >> following fruit:

    >> >Hello again
    >> >
    >> >This is in reply to both responses first from Kevin: I defragged my
    >> >machine 2 days ago. I did a Live Update from Symantec and then ran a
    >> >virus scan today and then I downloaded Ad-aware and ran that scan
    >> >also. Symantic showed no viruses, but the Adaware showed a number of
    >> >attempted hackings (is that a word?) and some other cookies that allow
    >> >popups.
    >> >
    >> >Is it wise to delete cookies? I am not sure about what to do about
    >> >them.
    >>
    >> Most of the cookies are junk, some are useful, storing your
    >> username for certain websites etc. My policy is to delete
    >> them all each week, in your case I'd remove any that you
    >> don't recognise.
    >>
    >> >My computer is relatively new (less than 6 months old). I have plenty
    >> >of RAM and disk space.
    >>
    >> I recommend getting a couple of adware checkers, I've had
    >> several cases of one program giving me a clean bill of
    >> health while the other detects something.
    >>
    >> You might consider getting HijackThis if you still have
    >> problems, there are several places on the web that can
    >> analyse the log for you and tell you what can be safely
    >> removed.
    >>
    >> I use firefox and almost all these kinds of problems have
    >> stopped for me.
    >>

    >> Jan Hyde (VB MVP)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Women are like elephants to me. I like to look at them
    >> but I wouldn't want to own one.
    >>
    >> W.C. Fields
    >>
    >> [Abolish the TV License - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]

    Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

    --
    Money doesn't talk these days. It goes without saying. (Syman Hirsch)

    M&M wrote:
    > I too have a problem like this. I think my main problem is when I
    > log on to my computer and all the items in the task bar load even
    > though they are already on my desktop and I rarely use them. I went
    > to msconfig and un-checked some of the options. After that, every
    > time I logged on, a message came up saying that my computer was in a
    > diagnostic mode. Please help.

    Go to the following website and scroll down to Line 148, right side. Click
    the "Clear disabled items from msconfig startup" link to download the .vbs
    file. This will allow you to remove the disabled items which will
    automatically reenable the Normal startup and get rid of that message.

    Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Next time that box comes up and tells you , you are running in diagnostic
    mode , look down in the lower left corner of that box and put a check mark
    in the box , it won't come up again.

    --
    Carl
    "M&M" <M&M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I too have a problem like this. I think my main problem is when I log on
    > my computer and all the items in the task bar load even though they are
    > already on my desktop and I rarely use them. I went to msconfig and
    > un-checked some of the options. After that, every time I logged on, a
    > message came up saying that my computer was in a diagnostic mode. Please
    > help.
    >
    > M&M
    >
    > "Jan Hyde" wrote:
    >
    > > Daisy <DaisyL@emailaccount.com>'s wild thoughts were
    > > released on Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:22:43 +1200 bearing the
    > > following fruit:

    > > >Hello again
    > > >
    > > >This is in reply to both responses first from Kevin: I defragged my
    > > >machine 2 days ago. I did a Live Update from Symantec and then ran a
    > > >virus scan today and then I downloaded Ad-aware and ran that scan
    > > >also. Symantic showed no viruses, but the Adaware showed a number of
    > > >attempted hackings (is that a word?) and some other cookies that allow
    > > >popups.
    > > >
    > > >Is it wise to delete cookies? I am not sure about what to do about
    > > >them.
    > >
    > > Most of the cookies are junk, some are useful, storing your
    > > username for certain websites etc. My policy is to delete
    > > them all each week, in your case I'd remove any that you
    > > don't recognise.
    > >
    > > >My computer is relatively new (less than 6 months old). I have plenty
    > > >of RAM and disk space.
    > >
    > > I recommend getting a couple of adware checkers, I've had
    > > several cases of one program giving me a clean bill of
    > > health while the other detects something.
    > >
    > > You might consider getting HijackThis if you still have
    > > problems, there are several places on the web that can
    > > analyse the log for you and tell you what can be safely
    > > removed.
    > >
    > > I use firefox and almost all these kinds of problems have
    > > stopped for me.
    > >

    > > Jan Hyde (VB MVP)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Women are like elephants to me. I like to look at them
    > > but I wouldn't want to own one.
    > >
    > > W.C. Fields
    > >
    > > [Abolish the TV License - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:12:48 -0700, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
    <ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Go to start / Run and type msinfo32 and press OK. Click the + sign next
    >to the Software Environment item on the left side. Click the Startup
    >Programs item.
    >
    >Select one of the items from the list on the right side. Now, click Edit /
    >Select All from the toolbar and then click Edit / Copy.
    >
    >Paste the results back in a reply to this message. We can take a look at the
    >start up items and advise you on what to remove.
    >
    >PS. It's not a good idea to invite complete strangers, especially on a
    >newsgroup, to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance.

    Thank you for your help and advice about Remote Assistance. I guess
    it's a problem if a complete stranger can access your computer. I am
    very careful about email addresses, personal address and phone numbers
    also.

    Here is the info pasted back from the Startup Program as advised :

    Adobe Gamma Loader
    c:\progra~1\common~1\adobe\calibr~1\adobeg~1.exe All Users
    Common Startup
    CnxDslTaskBar c:\program files\dse\adsl\cnxdsltb.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HPDJ Taskbar Utility
    c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Ins3DT e:\install4\ins3dt.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Microsoft Office c:\progra~1\micros~2\office\osa9.exe -b -l
    All Users Common Startup
    MsnMsgr "c:\program files\msn messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NeroCheck c:\windows\system32\nerocheck.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NvCplDaemon rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll,nvstartup
    All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NvMediaCenter rundll32.exe
    c:\windows\system32\nvmctray.dll,nvtaskbarinit OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SSC_UserPrompt c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\security
    center\usrprmpt.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SmcService c:\progra~1\sygate\spf\smc.exe -startgui All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    WPContactList c:\program files\cu-seeme\cuonline.exe /minimize
    OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ccApp "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccapp.exe"
    All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    desktop desktop.ini OFFICE\Tom & Beryl Startup
    desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    nwiz nwiz.exe /install All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    I hope this all makes sense to you. Thank you for your help. I am
    suffering from bronchitis at the moment so I may not be back on the
    Net for about 12-14 hours.

    Cheers

    Daisy
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Daisy wrote:
    > Here is the info pasted back from the Startup Program as advised :
    > I hope this all makes sense to you. Thank you for your help. I am
    > suffering from bronchitis at the moment so I may not be back on the
    > Net for about 12-14 hours.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Daisy

    Daisy

    Print this message.

    Here are my recommendations on your start up list. Each of my comments are
    preceded by an asterix. (*)

    To disable these utilities, simply open msconfig and remove the check
    mark from the item.

    Several of the items do not need to be in the start up list, simply because
    they can be started with a shortcut for the program when needed.

    After you diable these items in the msconfig utility, you will see a
    message, the next time you boot the system stating that you are starting in
    the selective start up mode. This is normal.

    Use the computer as you normally do for a few days and if everything works,
    go to the following website and scroll down to Line 148, right side. Click
    the "Clear disabled items from msconfig startup" link to download the .vbs
    file. Double click the file to run. This will allow you to remove the
    disabled items from msconfig which will automatically reenable the Normal
    startup and get rid of that selective start up message.

    Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

    ---------
    Adobe Gamma Loader
    c:\progra~1\common~1\adobe\calibr~1\adobeg~1.exe All Users
    Common Startup

    *This is from Adobe and is usually included with their graphics
    applications like PhotoShop, etc. You can safely remove this from the start
    up list.
    ----------
    CnxDslTaskBar c:\program files\dse\adsl\cnxdsltb.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    *This appears to be associated with a Connexant DSL Taskbar utility as
    used on Access Runner or a Samsung AHT-E310 ADSL modem.Leave this in there.

    ---------

    HPDJ Taskbar Utility
    c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    *This is an HP Deskjet utility and is not needed. You can safely disable
    this item.
    ---------

    Ins3DT e:\install4\ins3dt.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    *Could not find any information on this file? possible spyware or something
    left over from an incomplete installation. Good idea to disable it in the
    msconfig startup list and see if anything pops up missing it.
    ---------
    Microsoft Office c:\progra~1\micros~2\office\osa9.exe -b -l
    All Users Common Startup

    ---------

    MsnMsgr "c:\program files\msn messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    \CurrentVersion\Run

    *This is the MSN Messenger program. Not needed as you can start this from a
    shortcut after the system starts. Disable it.

    ---------
    NeroCheck c:\windows\system32\nerocheck.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    *This is a utility from Nero Burning Rom and is not needed at start
    up.Disable it.
    ---------
    NvCplDaemon rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll,nvstartup
    All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    *This is associated with the installed NVidea graphics card and should be
    left alone.
    ---------
    NvMediaCenter rundll32.exe
    c:\windows\system32\nvmctray.dll,nvtaskbarinit OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    \CurrentVersion\Run

    *A program also associated with the NVidea card, but this one can be
    started from a shortcut and can be safely disabled.
    ---------

    SSC_UserPrompt c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\security
    center\usrprmpt.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    SmcService c:\progra~1\sygate\spf\smc.exe -startgui All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ---------
    WPContactList c:\program files\cu-seeme\cuonline.exe /minimize
    OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    \CurrentVersion\Run

    *This contact list can be started from a shortcut or from within the program
    and is not needed in the start up list. Disable it.
    ---------
    ccApp "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccapp.exe"
    All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ---------
    desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    desktop desktop.ini OFFICE\Tom & Beryl Startup
    desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    ---------
    nwiz nwiz.exe /install All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    *This is a program associated with the NVidea graphics card and is not
    needed in the start up menu.
    ---------

    Regards

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:22:14 -0700, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
    <ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

> [...]
    >OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    >HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    >\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    >*This contact list can be started from a shortcut or from within the program
    >and is not needed in the start up list. Disable it.
    >---------
    >ccApp "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccapp.exe"
    >All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >---------
    >desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini OFFICE\Tom & Beryl Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    >---------
    >nwiz nwiz.exe /install All Users
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    >*This is a program associated with the NVidea graphics card and is not

    From past experience I would advise against disabling the printer's
    spool drivers. This can cause SOME programs to crash when trying to
    print.
    Using SEVERAL adware/pest scanners is also advisable. I use AdAware,
    PestPatrol, Spybot, then follow up with HighJackThis. Each one picks
    up multiple items the others miss. (in these days of highjackings,
    memory waste is the least of the problems ad/spyware can cause).

    What version of Norton is the lady using? People I associate with
    say 2004 is a bit of a memory hog. If you have an older version
    (2002,2003) give it a try and see if things run smoother. Older copies
    can be brought up to date. (Or try using a different scanner like AVG
    *Free*) I personally turn off automatic updates, and auto protect.
    I just "manually" scan every item I download, and "manually" update
    every couple weeks. You would be surprised at how much faster a
    system runs if don't let Norton "do everything for you".

    §kullywag©-
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    §kullywag©- wrote:
    > From past experience I would advise against disabling the printer's
    > spool drivers. This can cause SOME programs to crash when trying to
    > print.
    > Using SEVERAL adware/pest scanners is also advisable. I use AdAware,
    > PestPatrol, Spybot, then follow up with HighJackThis. Each one picks
    > up multiple items the others miss. (in these days of highjackings,
    > memory waste is the least of the problems ad/spyware can cause).
    >
    > What version of Norton is the lady using? People I associate with
    > say 2004 is a bit of a memory hog. If you have an older version
    > (2002,2003) give it a try and see if things run smoother. Older copies
    > can be brought up to date. (Or try using a different scanner like AVG
    > *Free*) I personally turn off automatic updates, and auto protect.
    > I just "manually" scan every item I download, and "manually" update
    > every couple weeks. You would be surprised at how much faster a
    > system runs if don't let Norton "do everything for you".
    >

    > §kullywag©-

    You may be right about the HP spooler although I have always kept this
    disabled on my systems with no apparent problems. The built in Windows
    spooler works well.

    I quit using any Norton products a few years back. They have become too
    invasive and cause too much instability for my tastes. I currently use
    eTrust for my antivirus as it's one of those products that simply works with
    no problems.

    --
    Regards,

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks everyone for your replies. I do have another queston.

    When I go to msconfig and choose the startup tab, and all the items are
    checked. With the abbreviated discriptions, how do I know which ones I do
    need or want on start up and which ones I don't. I'm sure I need the Norton
    antivirus to start but I don't want my local cable help assistant or any of
    the other things that I never use.

    "M&M" wrote:

    > I too have a problem like this. I think my main problem is when I log on to
    > my computer and all the items in the task bar load even though they are
    > already on my desktop and I rarely use them. I went to msconfig and
    > un-checked some of the options. After that, every time I logged on, a
    > message came up saying that my computer was in a diagnostic mode. Please
    > help.
    >
    > M&M
    >
    > "Jan Hyde" wrote:
    >
    > > Daisy <DaisyL@emailaccount.com>'s wild thoughts were
    > > released on Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:22:43 +1200 bearing the
    > > following fruit:

    > > >Hello again
    > > >
    > > >This is in reply to both responses first from Kevin: I defragged my
    > > >machine 2 days ago. I did a Live Update from Symantec and then ran a
    > > >virus scan today and then I downloaded Ad-aware and ran that scan
    > > >also. Symantic showed no viruses, but the Adaware showed a number of
    > > >attempted hackings (is that a word?) and some other cookies that allow
    > > >popups.
    > > >
    > > >Is it wise to delete cookies? I am not sure about what to do about
    > > >them.
    > >
    > > Most of the cookies are junk, some are useful, storing your
    > > username for certain websites etc. My policy is to delete
    > > them all each week, in your case I'd remove any that you
    > > don't recognise.
    > >
    > > >My computer is relatively new (less than 6 months old). I have plenty
    > > >of RAM and disk space.
    > >
    > > I recommend getting a couple of adware checkers, I've had
    > > several cases of one program giving me a clean bill of
    > > health while the other detects something.
    > >
    > > You might consider getting HijackThis if you still have
    > > problems, there are several places on the web that can
    > > analyse the log for you and tell you what can be safely
    > > removed.
    > >
    > > I use firefox and almost all these kinds of problems have
    > > stopped for me.
    > >

    > > Jan Hyde (VB MVP)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Women are like elephants to me. I like to look at them
    > > but I wouldn't want to own one.
    > >
    > > W.C. Fields
    > >
    > > [Abolish the TV License - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    <ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

> [...]
    >OFFICE\Tom & Beryl
    >HKU\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1390067357-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    >\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    >*This contact list can be started from a shortcut or from within the program
    >and is not needed in the start up list. Disable it.
    >---------
    >ccApp "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccapp.exe"
    >All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >---------
    >desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini OFFICE\Tom & Beryl Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    >---------
    >nwiz nwiz.exe /install All Users
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    >*This is a program associated with the NVidea graphics card and is not

    Dear Ronnie

    I have done all of the above, with the exception of the HPDJ spooler
    utility - just in case. I have also installed Spybot as well as
    Ad-Aware and shall run these frequently. I normally defrag about
    once every two weeks. Sometimes Windows tells me I don't need to!

    Do you think it a good idea to empty out Internet temp. files and
    cookies on a regular basis? I don't play games on my computer but I
    use it for genealogy - and have programs loaded for that and I
    regularly use MSN Messenger.

    I will report later on if I have any problems and need to re-enable
    any programs I have disabled and if not, will follow the final
    instruction.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Cheers

    Daisy
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Daisy wrote:
    > I have done all of the above, with the exception of the HPDJ spooler
    > utility - just in case. I have also installed Spybot as well as
    > Ad-Aware and shall run these frequently. I normally defrag about
    > once every two weeks. Sometimes Windows tells me I don't need to!
    >
    > Do you think it a good idea to empty out Internet temp. files and
    > cookies on a regular basis? I don't play games on my computer but I
    > use it for genealogy - and have programs loaded for that and I
    > regularly use MSN Messenger.
    >
    > I will report later on if I have any problems and need to re-enable
    > any programs I have disabled and if not, will follow the final
    > instruction.
    >
    > Thanks again for the help.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Daisy

    Very good.

    Yes, clearing the Temporary Internet Files and Cookies, on a regular basis,
    should be part of a good maintenance routine. This also includes running
    AdAware and Spybot on a weekly schedule.

    It sounds like you have a good handle on this now. Let us know if you need
    more help.

    BTW, hope the bronchitis is better. :)

    --
    Regards,

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    M&M wrote:
    > Thanks everyone for your replies. I do have another queston.
    >
    > When I go to msconfig and choose the startup tab, and all the items
    > are
    > checked. With the abbreviated discriptions, how do I know which ones
    > I do
    > need or want on start up and which ones I don't. I'm sure I need the
    > Norton antivirus to start but I don't want my local cable help
    > assistant or any of
    > the other things that I never use.

    Go to Start / Run and type msinfo32 and click OK. In the left pane,
    select the + next to Software Environment and then click the Startup
    Programs item. This will usually show a more complete fioe name as well as
    the programs name.

    You can use Edit/Select All and then Edit/Copy and paste the results back
    here for a looksee.

    --
    Regards,

    Ronnie Vernon